A lot of us remember the concerted campaign against Harlem's Congressman Powell and his independent posture, the "untimely" death of Congressman Mickey Leland, after he adopted a strong Africa-first policy and openly aligned himself with Kwame Ture of the A-APRP, the smear campaign against Congressman Gus Savage, because he was not willing to tow the line on various policy issues (especially his posture on the question of Palestine, and zionism, generally)  and of course the recent attacks on Congresspersons Hilliard and McKinney, because of their pro-people foreign and domestic policy stances and activities.  Now that Congresswoman McKinney, with the staunch support of her district, backed up by people across the country, has recaptured her seat, there is another plan hatching to push her out and replace her with a more compliant "Democrat" ... read this recent dispatch from Sister McKinney.  Most of you know that I am in no way pro-Democratic Party, but we should support any politician Democrat or otherwise who stand for the interest of our people, and other people who are confronted with the same kinds of oppression and exploitation by our common adversaries.  I encourage anyone who is so inclined to contact Sis. McKinney directly at h[EMAIL PROTECTED] for further information and/or to offer your solidarity and support.  This is a woman who has not only put her words at the service of Africa and African people, but also her material resources.

Roy Walker
-------------------------

Subj:    Georgia U.S. Reps. want new district lines
Date:    01/29/2005 9:00:05 AM Central Standard Time
From:    [EMAIL PROTECTED] (HQ)
To:    [EMAIL PROTECTED] (CAM)

"Those who back the effort said the GOP would likely focus on adding
Republicans to Gingrey's district and might try to put more moderate
Democrats into Democrat U.S. Rep. Cynthia McKinney's seat."

Georgia U.S. Reps. want new district lines

Atlanta, GA, Jan. 25 (UPI) -- The Georgia General Assembly, led by
Republicans for the first time since reconstruction, is being pressed
to redraw the state's congressional lines.

Much of that pressure is coming from Republican U.S. Reps. Phil
Gingrey and Lynn Westmoreland, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution said
Tuesday. The two have put forward separate plans that carve up the 13
congressional districts into seven safe or Republican-leaning seats.
Democrats would have five districts, with one district undecided.
General Assembly Republicans are said to be cool to the idea of new
lines, the paper said.

Those who back the effort said the GOP would likely focus on adding
Republicans to Gingrey's district and might try to put more moderate
Democrats into Democrat U.S. Rep. Cynthia McKinney's seat.

Unless ordered to do so by the courts, most states normally redistrict
once after the census, But political analyst Stuart Rothenberg said,
Georgia "isn't normal."

Rothenberg said the current map, which the Democrats approved three
years ago without GOP input, "is one of the most gerrymandered in
recent memory." The U.S. Department of Justice would have to approve
any new map because Georgia is covered under the federal Voting Rights
Act