District, Municipal, Town Councils & RDCs
a Decentralisation Mismatch

- I’ve written about decentralisation mentioning a combinatory system, driving
it to its stagnation and perpetual demise.

- In that respect much ink is spilled about corruption but nothing has been
said about its emergency on administrative and organisational levels.

- For corruption to exist enduring socio-economic and political structures must
be excessively compromised.

- Just imagine that the same parliament passes a political party bill and the
same parliament also passes a referendum bill. Don’t waste my time.

- THE LAW - VERY INTERESTING INDEED, HAS CAST a DICE. My last check revealed 72
parties picking forms and more than 10 registered.

- A mismatch implying Uganda’s problems are far from being resolved.

- Well as there is craving for constitutional amendments, straightening up
enduring and cascading structures does not arise. No business for the
honourables!

- Proponents for and against constitutional changes a large majority are all
compromised and working within the system for their self-sustenance.

- A system that has RDC, LC V, Mayors on top and DEOs up and Municipal EO down,
DSOs up and  (LDU) down, DHOs up and LHO down etceteras becomes gothic and
liable and susceptible to internal contradictions.

- A Member of Parliament therefore, must be largely ceremonial and his/her
position symbolic.

- Proponents of decentralisation saw my arguments as a move in the opposite
direction devoid of analysis of embedded conflicting structures.

- However in all places I have been Chief Administrative Officers are largely
very healthy people given to their body size compared to rest co-workers!

- Now, enter our traditional structures – with all kingdom super and
sub-structures from which decentralisation derives and was assumed as a
modernisation stance.

- What does the district do that can’t be done by municipalities or town
councils?

- Suppose five kingdoms get their way – and start administering roads, schools,
healthcare centres, what will be the role of districts, municipal or town
councils?

- A Combinatory

- On municipal level we have; mayors, town clerks, financial administrator as
well as planners, municipal agents of whatever nature there is.

- Same system is replicated above with LC.V (governors), then Chief
Administrative Officers (C.A.O), district planners and works, Chief financial
officers (C.F.O) and facilitators as well as planners and councillors of this
and that.

- The above system is repeated on town, municipal council level.

- In fact some forms of healthcare is offered on municipality or town council
level as education and social welfare.

-  The gist comes with ALLOCATION OF FUNDS and implementation of such
ADMINISTRATIVE AND ORGANISATION cores.

- In essence district, municipal and town councils all have to share small
amounts of money – in form of grants and central government budgetary
allocations.

- But who implements what for instance district and urban road construction –
city or district councils?

- Most often there is no working relationship what so ever between district
councils, town or municipal councils.

- The next problem comes with who get the rewards in form of wages, praises and
indeed akasiimo, kitu kidogo-

- That is where corruption becomes even more rampant and enigmatic.

- Rooting corruption from i.e. the district administration will in turn push it
down to the town council level and vice-vicer.

- For instance if one is royal to municipality affairs, the same does not apply
to the district level because of different sociological and monetary issues.

-  When ones work is dismissed, under-funded, ignored and praises go somewhere
else since one is a lower cadre or less desired there up – there is a real
problem.

- All in all, decentralisation is system as self-demotivator and the cost is
rampant corruption everywhere since everyone must get a fat payback check.

- I believe to maintain such a system the country must be very rich indeed.

- Let us talk federal

- I will assume, when districts decide to get together i.e. in form of a
federate districts more emphasis should be on the social and economic rather
than political implications.

- Why

- Who is paying for the decentralisation mismatch? Taxpayers? Or donors?

- Next time wait for a scholarly analysis of social transformation re: urban/
rural planning as I try to finally set an ideological stand point in change the
current political impasse.

I wish to remain Bwanika @

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

www.idrconsulting.com