Photo
AFP
Mon May 23, 8:05 PM ET

The De Beers Millennium Star, a 230-carat diamond, will be the highlight of the biggest diamond exhibition in the world, which will take place at the Natural History Museum, the Guardian newspaper said.(AFP/File/Gerry Penny)

Millennium diamond returns to London after foiled robbery attempt

Mon May 23, 8:05 PM ET

One of the world's most famous diamonds will go on display again in London this July, five years after a foiled attempt to steal the jewel, a newspaper reported.

The De Beers Millennium Star, a 230-carat diamond, will be the highlight of the biggest diamond exhibition in the world, which will take place at the Natural History Museum, the Guardian newspaper said.

The white, pear-shaped, priceless and flawless gem last appeared in a collection of diamonds at the Millennium Dome in London in 2000.

It attracted the attention of a band of thieves, however, who tried and failed to snatch the jewel in a daring November raid that would have been the world's biggest armed robbery had it been successful.

This time around, the Natural History Museum was taking no chances.

"We will be putting several new security procedures and systems in place, but obviously I cannot say what they are," a spokeswoman told The Guardian.

"We have taken advice from the best experts," she added.

The exhibition, simply called Diamonds, is due to open on July 8.

The Millennium Star was discovered in the Republic of Congo and mined by De Beers in the early 1990s. It took more than three years for the company to shape the stone with lasers, the newspaper said.