Dear Beloved Mayor

Katwe Slum City, Religious Schools and 50 cents

-       Just inside the slum city – business thrives by all means possible.

-        A religious school within the neighbourhood with holy book recitals
and the young ones answer in unison.

-       Around them, filthy and dirty smelly air comes from all corners. Urine
here, faeces there, raw sewage there.

-       Town “Hole” was presented to Kampala Municipality Council by Sheth
Nanji Kalidas Mertha M.B.E opened by Governor Sir John Hathorn Hall G.C.M.C.,
D.S.O., O.B.E., M.C., (master of ceremony) Monday September 1950

-       What has changed then? 55 years, Independent and old at 43, Makerere
Ivory Tower 83 complete years –

-       KEEP HOPE ALIVE, KEEP HOPE ALIVE , KEEP HOPE ALIVE  - colonialists.

-       Ado at the other corner of the road, Manchester and Ass-enal jumper and
buggy bearing young slum men impress upon the passing girls with – their music
system blurring out 50 cents accompanied with vigorous debate about who is who
in R&B.

-       I turn to look at the other side, I can see inside Lubiri Barracks, Oh
I mean Lubiri Palace and many many banana plantation extending as far as the
eyes can see.

-       Back - it is a music-recording studio into a muddy ramshackle house – @
a near falling stage – I pose to think about the MINISTRY OF YOUTH AND GENDER.

-       Nearby, a billboard announcing condoms another MTN, Celter, Nile
special, Club and so on.    There is a one street coming up – a citizen’s
innovation.

-       In a distance a heated discussion, “ abaNiggers mwaana bakuba emiziiki”
(Negroes are music endowed) another shouts back “Gwe mwanna abaNiggers balina
sente” (Negroes are filthy rich)

-       I bust in hearty laughter, almost falling off my legs.

-       Fellow citizens below Katwe there is a small KCC advert in soil –
“Welcome to Kampala City and so on….

-       Flight of time vindicates and history will absolve us – had it no been
for the struggle to bring the internet to Uganda, were will we be?

-       My first step in Katwe was not so successful, my newly acquired
gumboots were soiled badly- I hear malaria kills millions but what is here
tales a different story.

-       I turn to the help of a water-logged pond left behind by several days
of down pour  – heavy scrubbing into the mud with the help of another leg,
luckily cleans off the terrible thing.

-       I move on.

-       Miniature gullies, which emerge from what goes for hastily designed
latrines, and “side “ bathrooms smells like hell, raw urine, sewage, condoms,
shit you name it – it is all there.

-       Good heavens help our people. There is a condom in the middle of road.

-       There too emerges a tiptoeing very young modern woman wrapped in a fine
towel, with painstakingly burnt hair, hopping to skip and dodging, I think pup
and muddy waters along the path to a one-unit room on a multipurpose block of a
house.

-       She disappears in one of numerous muzigo

-       No, many children don’t die of dysentery, diarrhoea – I am in Katwe
proper - it is malaria.

-       We must be adapted for quite long to resist such encumbrances!
Colonialists call us monkeys, rare apes! Aaah, Bloody Dirty Racists!

-       Bantusitan. Soweto.

-       Originating from a very remote region, what I see now defies
explanatory power. Can it fit poverty, misery, desolation, despair, agony or
ignorance – I can’t tell.

-       Maybe with a new economic vocabulary like “Okulembeka” – they actually
do.

-       It is holiday time, children with mucus, some so dirty, with rags on,
to imagine them living another day but they do!

-       They mingle, jiggle and play children games - while dysentery,
diarrhoea below their feet flows in all directions at times helped in an open
ditch.

-       It is sickening – I move to the left.

-       With their mothers some comfortably sited on verandas unconcerned as
they marvel the tricks of their playing kids, it chills me in the spine. I am
tired and jittery.

-       Pup here and there and many children in fact as sick dogs, cats and the
like mill around them. One dog has so many bits it’s about to die I guess.

-       As elsewhere in Kamwokya Kitoro, here too labyrinths snakes through a
thousand mud and reed houses some newly constructed others in just as lame as
the builders minds themselves.

-       It disturbs me really. Stupid Racists Colonialists - what an absurd
conjecture!

-       Now I can see Kampala City -  a lot of it.

-       It is Africa architecture of a rare breed YET we survive 2005. I can
now see the workers house far away in blue.

-       A hawker all covered in merchandise head to toe, all of the sudden
surfaces behind another house calling for buyers (who is buying, who is buying)
attracts my attention.

-       In one hand he’s carrying a small radio at full volume – It is radio
West I usually listens to in Lunyankore.

-       Bonna Bagagaware.  (Man’s Worldly Goods – Leo Huberman)

-       At the far end – Maama Hajjit is preparing a Katogo (mixture of cassava
& beans) it goes for shs 800 bobs a plate - with flied beans that is.

-       I ask for half a plate with faith that Professor O2 was right when you
burn or boil bacteria indeed die. Unflinching Materialist – Faith!

-       Sparking off a conversation with Maama Hajjit and my fellow Katogo
consumers I pork a fork in my Cassava and stop a big piece in my mouth. Taste
good though.

-       A big blue fly from several months of an uncollected waste dump
opposite Maama Hajjit food vending business, zooms into our shack restaurant,
landing on my shoulder.

-       I jump off the ramshackle bench in full pursuit – causing hearty
laughter and shouts.

-       ”eeeeh a big man fears flies, it is only a fly !”…and so on, comes a
response and yet more laughter.

-       Maama Hajjit ask me not to mind – she unties a piece of cloth in her
waist, waves it to help chase a group of flies on tin plates in the other
corner.

-       It is super Katogo - When did you come to Katwe Maama Hajjit – I ask.

-       Mzee (me!), I was born in Butambala but married to Hajji that was in
the beginning of the 80s and our house there, a half cement half mud built
house several hundred meters away behind other shacks, is our home comes a
reply.

-       When is Kampala City Council in Katwe I ask – sending some in sarcastic
laughter and others in derisive shouts - protest?

-       Nooooo No comes the cry - only when they come for taxes, look look a
man points to a dirty slum road – this government, KCC thieves and so on.

-       I am shocked with the agitation the conversation has generated in a 20
or so minute – I signal for a passing bodaboda.

-       We settle for shs 2500 bobs for a round trip in Katwe, Kibuli behind
Nsambya and Makindye.

-       I suspect nothing will change here for sometime to come.

-       Some Bachiga have also settle in- gathered around a small shop, I guess
of a colleague selling pilsner club, some are heavily intoxicated and talking
at the top of their voices.

-       I direct a forwards movement and speed increase from slow paced
motorisation - a little bit more I argue my BodaBoda Rider.

-       Ladies and Gentlemen it’s only 3 o’clock and the bars are already open
young women doing the rounds.

-       After two and half hours tour, left confused and mesmerised at human
tenacity, it is coming to 6 p.m. I am tired and lost.

-       A struggle to stop me is a waste of time and futile – soon Uganda will
get a book detailing all that we see in pictures.

-       I descend back to the new taxi park via Owino, Nakivubo stadium, yes
stadium and retreat back to Luwero.

-       Till then fellow country wo/men.

Me Bwanika @

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

www.idrconsulting.com

Bwanika