The president revelation amounts to this: He will not leave power until he dies. It is in the constitution, he said, ?Our Constitution says that if the President dies, the Vice-President takes over.?

?Our Constitution also says that if the President dies in the fifth year, the Vice-President serves until the year ends and elections are organized for a new President. So what is their problem?? Museveni asked.

What is their problem, indeed? :-) The guy is in his fifth year, don't you get it?"

Sitefano

Museveni explains succession
GET THE POINT: Museveni (right) chats with Buteera, Wamala and Kuteesa at Muyenga Hotel in Kampala yesterday
By Alfred Wasike
PRESIDENT Yoweri Museveni has rubbished claims by critics that he has intentionally not prepared a successor yet his two-term limit expires next May.

?Confused politicians are confusing people that I have not prepared a successor. Our constitution took care of that in 1995. They should not go around causing such alarm,? he said.

Addressing senior Police and CID officers on crime management and surveillance in Kampala on Tuesday, Museveni said, ?Our Constitution says that if the President dies, the Vice-President takes over.?

?Our Constitution also says that if the President dies in the fifth year, the Vice-President serves until the year ends and elections are organised fo r a new President. So what is their problem?? Museveni asked.

?I advise everyone to read the Constitution carefully. Don?t make sweeping statements without reading properly. That book has the solution to Uganda?s constitutional problems. Let us guard it well,? Museveni said.

?You wonder why these confusing agents talk like that. They talk as is there is a problem. They are just greedy. The Constitution takes care of succession in Uganda,? he said.

Museveni ordered the Police to arrest politicians and discipline anyone who threatens violence as Uganda changes its political system. He urged the UPDF, the Police and the Prisons to be neutral during the July 28 referendum but should be ?partisan against crime like violence and other anarchists bent on destroying our achievements.?

The Director of Public Pr osecutions, Richard Buteera, Police chief Maj. Gen. Katumba Wamala and CID director Elizabeth Kuteesa attended.

Museveni said Uganda?s politics was stable and there was no crisis.

He said he championed individual merit for elective office so as to eliminate sectarianism. ?We later took the initiative to open up so that those who want can leave the NRM and find new political homes. Now we are going for the referendum to let our people decide.?

Museveni urged the Police to read the Constitution because it would help them in dealing with anarchists. ?Discipline them. We can?t have this indiscipline any more. Be on the side of the Consti tution. We need order.?
Ends