To: <ugandanet@kym.net>
Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2005 2:17 PM
Subject: Re: [Ugnet] Attn Sharangabo: NEUTRALISING THE VOICES OFHATE: BROADCASTING AND GENOCIDE

Mr. Sharangabo,

You had better read Richard Carver's article again, m-o-r-e s-l-o-w-l-y this time. It doesn't support your thesis at all. For radios and machetes to become tools of genocide, they need the coercive power of the state or of a constituency with the motives, the will, and the ability to commit mass murder. In Uganda, the one can only come about if Museveni takes abuse of power to the next level. The other will also require him to push that alternative power constituency against the wall. Either way, our president's abuse of power will be the impetus for a genocide in Uganda.

But this is a purely hypothetical situation. I do not think we will have genocide in Uganda. Not least one caused by the media. Hence your thesis can only serve as a gift to dictators.

Thanks.

vukoni

NDANET is generously hosted by INFOCOM http://www.infocom.co.ug/