Subj:    United Demonstration in Washington D.C. on September 24
Date:    8/19/05 6:29:50 PM Central Daylight Time
From:    UnityForSept24
To:    UnityForSept24
CC:    [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], RWalker949, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], SpewNYC, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], Jongarf, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Greetings:

Today we received the following announcement from both UFPJ and A.N.S.W.E.R.:

August 19th, 2005

The two major antiwar coalitions that have initiated and organized for a massive anti-war March on Washington for September 24 have agreed to organize a joint rally followed by a joint march. Both coalitions will organize under their own banners, slogans, and with their own literature for the September 24 demonstration. The joint rally will begin at 11:30 am at the Ellipse in the front of the White House. We urge everyone around the country to unite and come out for the largest possible anti-war demonstration on September 24.

Signed by:

United for Peace and Justice

A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition
(on behalf of the September 24 National Coalition)

Over the past several months, the overwhelming majority of antiwar activists and their organizations made unmistakably clear that they wanted a united demonstration in Washington D.C. on September 24, not two rival and inherently competitive ones. The Emergency Ad Hoc Committee for a United Demonstration in Washington D.C. on September 24, 2005 was formed for the purpose of providing a vehicle for transmitting this sentiment to both of the sponsoring coalitions. The Ad Hoc Committee asked individuals and groups committed to making September 24 as massive as possible to sign a statement urging unity. The response was resounding. The 350 signers of the Unity Statement can take pride in the important contribution they made to bringing the full power of the peace movement together to challenge the warmakers.

Independent of our efforts, local antiwar coalitions, national organizations and people from all walks of life who want to see an end to the slaughter in Iraq, an end to U.S. occupations of other countries, and a halt to aggressive U.S. wars for oil and empire also spoke out. The leaders of the two principal coalitions heard the outcry for unity and responded positively to it.

A cloud has been lifted for building the largest  possible turnout on September 24. We urge all signers of the Unity Statement to multiply efforts to make this happen. Whether in Washington D.C., San Francisco or Los Angeles, let us together take to the streets to send a message heard around the world -- including by Bush and his big business supporters in both major political parties -- that we, the people, have had it with U.S. war policies and demand a fundamental change.

The growing sentiment against the U.S. war and occupation of Iraq is evidenced by the huge response to the protest launched by Cindy Sheehan in Texas. On Wednesday, August 18, thousands showed their solidarity by attending more than 1500 vigils against the war in cities large and small across the country. The united action now projected for Saturday, September 24 will be a tremendous opportunity for the antiwar sentiment to be mobilized in the most powerful way.

End the Occupations! Bring the Troops Home Now!!

Alan Benjamin
Alan Dale
Christine Gauvreau
Jerry Gordon
Jeff Mackler

On behalf of the Organizing Committee, Emergency Ad Hoc Committee for a United Demonstration in Washington D.C. on September 24, 2005