The New Vision

Houses razed in Kayunga

Publication date: Sunday, 30th April, 2006
OVER 100 dilapidated homes in Kayunga town council were on Thursday destroyed by district officials in a swoop to clean the town, reports Kibuuka Lumu.

The resident district commissioner, Margaret Balyehuki, said some of the houses were too old while others had poor toilet facilities. “We don’t want our people to die of cholera and other dangerous diseases, that is why we are doing this,” he said.
Ends
www.newvision.co.ug/D/8/19/496001

Mukono residents evicted, property destroyed
Irene Lamunu
Mukono
Monitor April 8, 2006

SEVERAL tenants of Luwombo village, Buikwe sub-county in Mukono district, were left homeless on Tuesday when a landlord who claimed to have bought the land razed their property and crops.
The landlord, Mr Ferdinand Mugisha, wants to develop the land.

Mugisha allegedly sent a group of men wielding machetes and axes who raided the village. The tenants alleged that Mugisha did not give them notice to vacate. He could not be reached for a comment.

One of the tenants, 80-year old Teresa Namboze, said she saw men fencing the land last year but ignored them.

"I have lived in Luwombo for 80 years. I have no where to take my grand children," she said.

The residents appealed to the Resident District Commissioner, Mr Deo Kayiwa Nsereko, to intervene.