A peep into Uganda's next five years, under Museveni

Sunday Monitor, May 21 - 27, 2006
Golooba Mutebi

After the riveting saga of the disappeared Global Fund millions; the unashamed vindictiveness of Colonel Kizza Besigye's treatment; the shameful events surrounding the recent presidential campaigns and election, the public's attention has now turned to what to expect from President Yoweri Museveni's 5th term in office. A newspaper column cannot do justice to this gargantuan topic. At the same time, no politics junkie would willingly let it pass.
If you follow these things closely, you would have noticed via the print and electronic media, and Radio Katwe of the pavement variety that, save for a few diehard cynics who see no chance of Museveni's 5th term making a difference, many have their expectations sky-high.
True to form, the President has been extravagant with his promises. And, true to form, credulous Ugandans have been quick to believe him, although the last 20 years warrant a dose of scepticism.
Take the example of poverty. Before each of the three presidential campaigns he has participated in, Mr Museveni has used millions of public funds on trips around the countryside, promising to eliminate poverty. Granted, many uncoordinated, un-researched and terribly naïve attempts have been made, not least by a unit in his own office, to do something about it. As I write, studies and casual observation shows that poverty remains defiant.
Yet, in the next five years, the President promises more of the same: half-baked micro-credit schemes run by politicians and presidential advisors, not well-trained professionals. Expect more poverty.
The President caused outrage recently when he feigned ignorance about the existence of corruption in the Movement. Some saw this as evidence that he is terribly out of touch with reality. Others took it as wilful deceitfulness on his part. When I put it to an acquaintance close to the centre of power, he offered a clarification. According to him, the President has always known that there was corruption in his government. What he did not know, however, was that there was corruption in the Movement as a party.
War on corruption?
Please, stop laughing. Apparently, the discovery made him so furious that, as you may know, he promised to wage war on the scourge. I am not sure whether the war in the party will extend to the government. Given that the people involved are the same, however, you need a very soft head to believe that the war will happen, or that if it does, it will succeed.
The President has been very vocal in condemning the Sixth Parliament. Observers of Uganda's politics would recall the hard time legislators in that Parliament gave the President and the government in general, on several fronts. They will recall also what, besides the pigeonhole Constitution saga of Obote I, some consider to be the single most shameful evident in Uganda's political history: the money-for-votes scandal that engulfed the Seventh Parliament during manoeuvres to lift term limits.
Many of the disgraced MPs of that Parliament are back, to do the executive's bidding. If ever anyone needed pointers to the behaviour of the Movement-dominated Eighth Parliament, they should look at the silly spectacle of MP Vincent Nyanzi prostrating before President Museveni at Parliamentary Buildings last Wednesday (Daily Monitor, May 18).
What should one expect from MPs who take bribes to enact laws, and literally fall over themselves to impress the chief executive with their loyalty? The Eighth Parliament seems destined to be the most pliable in Uganda's history.

The period leading up to CHOGM will witness frenetic activity as preparations are made to hold the biggest and most costly jamboree since the Movement came to power. It is set to be a very exciting period.
It is even possible that, as the euphoria of hosting so many Heads of State and, for some, making so much money mounts, for a short period of time we will all seem to forget the issues that divide us.
After the three days of the summit, though, life will return to normal, the only difference being that we will be left with lots of empty hotels with redundant workers. The following years will see efforts at attracting tourists to fill them up. Whether or not they will succeed at all will depend on one thing: the general political and economic climate in the country, Museveni's greatest challenge.

Does Uganda need a Parliament?
After the scandalous dishing out of Shs5 million to MPs of the out-gone Parliament by the executive to support the third term, I wondered whether Uganda really needs a legislature. Since the government undermines the effectiveness of the August House through bribery of its members, having the law-making body becomes almost useless. And the actions of the out-gone Parliament prove my argument.
One popular MP from Mbale, for example, opposed the Shs5 million handshake amid a lot of noise. But a few weeks later, he contradicted himself by voting in favour of lifting the presidential term-limits! An institution that does not uphold moral principles in favour of petty economic gain is a liability to the country.
The struggle by members to please one man with a vision puts a dark spot on the credibility of Parliament. I urge the members in the Eighth Parliament to be visionary. They should think about the future of this country and our grandchildren. I also take this opportunity to congratulate Nigerian lawmakers for having rejected Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo’s wish for a third term. These are real men and women. Even those who took the bribe did not support the Obasanjo sponsored motion. To them, what mattered most was Nigeria, but not Obasanjo.
William Makamazibu
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

MPs, please help
I CONGRATULATE all MPs of the Eighth Parliament. I hope your first assignment will be to tackle corruption. Millions of shillings are lost daily in dubious deals and yet our schools, hospitals and roads are in a sorry state. Do not be compromised like your predecessors who ate Shs5 million to change the Constitution. We expect better from you.
Tom Voga Okurut,
United States
.

Kisoro-Kabale rd: reality or fiction?
After being sworn in on May 16, our lawmaker, Dr Nsaba Buturo, repeated his perennial promise that construction of the Kisoro-Kabale Road would take place. However, since a new breed of lawmakers from Kisoro region - Tress Bucyanayandi and Eudia Kwizera - has joined Buturo we hope that there will be better service delivery.
In his own words, Buturo said, "the work on the road is to start in July." Please, honour your word and your electorate. I thank Mr Bucyanayandi for having immediately embarked on a water project, which will help our rural population.
Vincent Shaka
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ring'em or ping'em. Make PC-to-phone calls as low as 1¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.