Ghana will cause us problems says Parreira

by AFP

Ghana could cause five-times champions Brazil all sorts of problems in their FIFA World Cup™ second round clash on Monday admitted Brazilian coach Carlos Alberto Parreira on Saturday.

The 63-year-old said he expected the Ghanaians to come out all guns blazing as they had nothing to lose having already done superbly to reach the last 16 beating UEFA EURO 2004 semi-finalists Czech Republic and 2002 FIFA World Cup quarter-finalists the United States in the group stage.

"You would do well to remember their pedigree," said Parreira, who coached the 'Black Stars' in 1968.

"Ghana like Cameroon and Nigeria are outstanding teams.

"They have talented players and they are not as naive as they were.

"Their players play all over Europe, and they have lost their innocence.

"We hope to maintain our unbeaten record against African teams but we have to respect Ghana.

"There may be no Michael Essien (he is suspended), but there is Stephen Appiah.

"They (Ghana) are good, and they have nothing to lose.

"They are playing against the five-time world champions and one of the favourites for this title.

"They will shoot on sight. They will be aggressive and we have to work out how to pass the ball around under those circumstances," added Parreira, who is in his third spell as Brazil coach and landed the 1994 FIFA World Cup in his second try at the job.

Parreira, who revised his decision never to coach the national side again after taking a load of personal abuse following the 1994 finals, denied that there was any friction between himself and barrel-chested Inter Milan striker Adriano, who was rumoured to be unhappy at not playing in the final group match against Japan.

"No, I don't find that he is depressed," said Parreira, who has also coached Kuwait and Saudi Arabia at the FIFA World Cup finals.

"Adriano (who scored in the 2-0 win over Australia) has trained well and in any case there is no reason to be depressed because you have not played in one match.

"The coach does what he feels best is for the team. There are 23 players in the squad and none of them should feel depressed."