It IS a national issue if the policy is to forbid the use of indigenous languages ('vernacular') in favour of English in all Ugandan schools. Doesn't your party have an education policy ?

Kasangwawo

From:  Matek Opoko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:  ugandanet@kym.net, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:  Re: [Ugnet] Budo should have taught me Luganda
Date:  Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:33:27 -0700 (PDT)

who cares is that even a national issue?

MK

musamize <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Budo should have taught me Luganda

News about the centenary celebrations at King’s College Budo brought back all the fond memories of Budo the place and Budo the experience. Heartfelt thanks to all the organisers and participants. I wish I were there.

Budo has provided immeasurable opportunities to many young women and men and by all indications will continue to do so.
My only regret is that after six years at Budo in the 1960s, I could hardly read, write or speak Luganda but acquired just enough survival
Luganda expressions to establish a credit line with ‘Congo’ for roasted groundnuts, amuse the night watchmen and occasionally get enyongeza from the market women on Wednesday afternoons and Saturdays.

I was Luganda illiterate because of the school rule that required English to be spoken at all times except Sunday afternoons. By hindsight, that was a bad rule. Just as she provided opportunities for spiritual enrichment and physical development, Budo should have encouraged cultural development by teaching conversational Luganda to non-native speakers.

I suggest that Budo makes it a requirement for incoming students (S1 and S5) to demonstrate fluency in spoken Luganda or take a mandatory one-year course in conversational Luganda.
J. C. Okuk Nyankori, Class of 1964 (South Africa House),
South Carolina, US

-----------------------------------

----------------------------------

Scheme to  destory Buganda:  divide up the  districts/take away as much as possible from the districts that  make up Buganda.

-----------------------------------

Consult people on Kampala extension

I have heard the
news about the extension of Kampala city to cover parts of Wakiso and Mukono districts.
Districts, although they are subject to some degree of supervision by the central government, are autonomous bodies.

The district councils and the inhabitants of these districts must be consulted before altering the boundaries of their districts. They may object to incorporating their properties in Kampala city.

Residents of trading centres such as Kasangati, Nansana, Kireka, Bweyogerere and Mukono for example see no benefit in being incorporated within Kampala city, except being burdened with property taxes.

Extension of Kampala city boundaries must be by consent of the affected districts; it should not be imposed.
P.S Mabuliro,
Entebbe.

The above comments and data are owned by whoever posted them (including attachments if any). The List's Host is not responsible for them in any way.