What Museveni said on Uhuru 19 years ago

On Friday, October 9, 1987, President Yoweri Museveni who had captured power
the previous year addressed guests invited to a State House dinner at
Entebbe on the occasion to mark Uganda's 25th independence anniversary.

On Monday, President Museveni will deliver his 20th independence speech for
Uganda's 44th independence anniversary. Below are highlights of the
President's 1987 speech:
Yoweri Museveni

The Government,
Members of the National Resistance Movement,
Diplomats,
Distinguished Guests,
Ladies and Gentlemen

This is a simple reception which we organised here to commemorate 25 years
of independence. We decided to have simple celebrations because we do not
believe in squandering our resources on things like celebrations.
Celebrations are good but they are not primary and we always emphasise what
is primary and merely attend to what is secondary.

That is why even today, although some people had earlier on wanted
flamboyant celebrations, we rejected it. We shall simply have simple
ceremonies which do not cost much.

Today, although it is a Silver Jubilee, we had a simple celebration. It was
deliberate. We think resources can be used for production and improvement of
people's living conditions.

Our team was in a coffee meeting in London and the International Coffee
Organisations had to raise our quota from 1.9 million bags to 2.4 million
bags. We can raise our production to 5 million bags and if you use the
prices of $2.5 per kilo, that can give us an income of $750 million from
coffee.

It is amazing that the way the people of Uganda have suffered, there are
some people in the world who do not want them to live a good life after 24
years of suffering.

Well, you see when you are running a state; you have no right to be angry
because a head of state has got a lot of power. So you must always put your
head in a fridge and cool your anger if you happen to be angry.

But it's incredible we have lost 800,000 people in the past 24 years or so
at the hands of bad governments.
On internal security, the situation is improving dramatically because if you
remember insecurity started in the north last year. And the idea was that
those bandits were supposed to make a base in the north, capture it, control
it as the staging point to come and recapture power in Kampala here.

They wanted to create permanent antagonism between the people of the north
and the people of the south, the usual politics of the opportunists.

But our counter-attack was so effective that first of all we crushed the
bandits thoroughly and maintained and consolidated the good relationship
between NRA and the people of the North. In fact, the relationship is so
strong.

I am a bit annoyed with the interference from some quarters outside our
borders. Apparently when somebody is a humble man, and reasonable, people
mistake you for being either a fool or a coward, or I do not know what they
think. We have no expansionist interest. So we do not see why people should
interfere in our affairs. There is no legitimate reason why any of the
neighbouring countries or any country far should wish to interfere in our
internal affairs.

Five years from now, Uganda will not be what it was. Our economy will be
restored, our people will be living a better life.

I hope we shall have banished corruption, by that time, so there is no doubt
that this is a revolution and will become deeper and deeper. We are not
going to promote change anywhere else except within our own borders.
Here we shall bring change, there is no doubt.

Soon we are going to the Commonwealth Conference and one of the subjects
that will be discussed will be South Africa.

Another topic that will be discussed will be the debts of the Third World. I
think these debts were incurred for no good reason, like the ones by Obote
here.
Obote incurred a lot of debts. He was given I think, $2,000 million by
countries from outside and he never used this money paying his debts.

Instead, he used it to import whisky. When I came here, I found 6,000 crates
of Mateus. This is a form of wine. That is 72,000 bottles. We are paying the
IMF and all this money because Obote imported and drank Mateus, and he only
left 6,000 crates for us here.