Uganda fuelling Somali conflict, says UN report
FRANK NYAKAIRU & AGENCIES

KAMPALA

UGANDA has been named among countries fuelling the Somali conflict and violating the 1992 arms embargo slapped on the horn of Africa country.

The accusations are contained in an 80-page United Nations commissioned report on violence in Somalia to be discussed in the UN Security Council on Friday.
The report names Uganda among 10 other countries and armed groups that have flouted the embargo by shipping weapons and military equipment to Somalia, which has been embroiled in a 10 year conflict.

"Ethiopia, Uganda and Yemen have all sent weapons and military equipment to the interim government, holed up in its sole outpost in Baidoa," said the report.
The report also says Uganda has deployed troops in Baidoa, planting seed for an even bigger regional conflict.

Uganda, which also backs the transitional government, sent parts for anti-aircraft guns, supplies for building a military camp, along with an unspecified number of soldiers. Security experts have told Reuters the soldiers are about 100.

"In terms of regional implications, the presence of Ethiopia and Uganda on one side and Eritrea and Djibouti on the other greatly complicates any political solution as all four are members of the east African peace body Igad which led to the peace talks that produced the interim government," the report says.

According to the report, the weapons to both sides include "the usual array of Cold War-era castoffs that typify the Somali arsenal, mostly from the former Eastern Bloc...machine guns, assault rifles, rocket-propelled grenades, mines and anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons, guns that are usually mounted on pick-up or flat-bed trucks -- which have also been sent in."

The defence ministry however, denies the claims. Ms Ruth Nankabirwa, the State Minister for Defence told Daily Monitor yesterday that Uganda had neither supplied weapons to Somalia nor deployed forces to protect the transitional government in Baidoa, south of the capital Mogadishu. "We are falsely being accused of sending troops to Somalia and supplying arms. there is no truth in that at all," Nankabirwa said.

"To send arms to Somalia we need the UN to temporarily lift the arms embargo and we need approval from Parliament," she added.

However, her account sharply contrasts that of her colleague Amama Mbabazi, the security minister.
Mbabazi told Inside Politics in an interview recently that a UPDF contingent were in Somalia to train troops and protect the transitional government in Baidoa.

Contradiction
"We are doing a job for Igad- we face the same challenges. When Igad took a decision to act we were given the job of protecting the transitional government and ensuring the training of their security forces. Commonsense commanded that we cooperate," he said.

The UN report, however, says the arms and equipment flow is dizzying, even by the standards of a nation known as a byword for arms markets: "Behind the scenes, large cargo aircraft and ocean-going dhows have been clandestinely delivering arms and other forms of military support from states, arms-trading networks and others, almost on a daily basis."

More sophisticated weapons, according to the report, are also coming in, mostly towards the Islamist side. These include shoulder-fired anti-aircraft missiles, multiple rocket launchers and second-generation infrared-guided anti-tank weapons all designed to counter Ethiopia's military, backing the government.
Two Ethiopian rebel groups are backing the Islamists, and some Hezbollah personnel have also arrived in Somalia.

The report warns that if war breaks out, rivals Ethiopia and Eritrea, still bitter over a 1998-2000-border war could fight, and that "acts of terrorism" could be carried out in vulnerable neighbouring states.