Gaborone - Botswana's President Festus Mogae has announced that he is to stand 
down next year after a decade at the helm of the diamond-rich southern African 
nation.

The 67-year-old told members of the ruling Botswana Democratic Party (BDP) he 
would serve another nine months as head of state and then hand over to Vice 
President Seretse Khama Ian Khama ahead of a general election in October 2009.

"I look forward in the next nine months to retirement and rest. I do so in the 
conviction, that I did my best; like Frank Sinatra, I did it my way and like 
Tony Blair, I did what I thought was right," he told delegates at a conference 
in the city of Molepolole on Saturday.

"I do so with a sense of immense, satisfaction as I look back at what we have 
achieved together ... I am further comforted by the belief that I have led a 
good party, with the assistance of good men and women, who are positioned to 
take it to greater heights."

The son of cattle farmers who was educated at Oxford University, Mogae has 
described himself as the 'CEO' of Botswana which is one of the wealthiest 
countries in Africa.

He came to power in 1998 in succession to Sir Ketumile Masire and was 
re-elected after his party triumphed over a divided opposition at the last 
elections in October 2004.

The president is elected by members of the National Assembly and the 
constitution precludes presidents from serving more than two terms.

While commentators believe the BDP's hold on office will continue for the 
foreseeable future, Festus warned it was important the BDP enjoyed the support 
of a majority of the people rather than just in parliament.

"A scenario where we win the majority of seats but fail to command a 
comfortable majority in the popular vote is not a good one," he said in his 
speech.

"Let us face it, it would undermine our mandate ... our opponents seem to think 
our 52 percent gives them some hope and even reason to celebrate."

A former senior director for Africa at the International Monetary Fund, Mogae 
made the fight against HIV and Aids one of the top priorities of his 
administration, warning once that Botswanans faced "extinction" from HIV. - 
Sapa-AFP 


 The Mulindwas Communication Group
"With Yoweri Museveni, Uganda is in anarchy"
            Groupe de communication Mulindwas 
"avec Yoweri Museveni, l'Ouganda est dans l'anarchie"
_______________________________________________
Ugandanet mailing list
[email protected]
http://kym.net/mailman/listinfo/ugandanet
% UGANDANET is generously hosted by INFOCOM http://www.infocom.co.ug/


The above comments and data are owned by whoever posted them (including 
attachments if any). The List's Host is not responsible for them in any way.
---------------------------------------

Reply via email to