  From: Ed Kironde
  To: unaanet ; ugandacom
  Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 10:38 PM
  Subject: [Ugandacom] Baganda should marry more Acholi- Rev Zac Nerinye (what
sayth Anyo?)

  Bishop Niringiye calls for marriage across tribes
  Publication date: Tuesday, 1st January, 2008
  By Vision Reporters

  THE Assistant Bishop of Kampala, the Rev Zac Niringiye, has called for
inter-ethnic marriages as a way of promoting unity to avoid conflicts.

  "I want to see more of our children crossing the Nile for marriage. The
Bahima and the Baganda should marry more Acholi," he said. In his New Year's
sermon at All Saints Cathedral, Nakasero, Niringiye said the ethnic tensions in
Kenya recently would have been avoided if there were more cross-cultural
unions.

  Violence erupted in Kenya on Thursday following a disputed general election.
Over 124 people have so far died in the ethnic clashes. The presidential polls
pitted the opposition's Raila Odinga from the Dhaluo tribe against the
incumbent, Mwai Kibaki, a Kikuyu.

  "Some of you cry when you hear that your daughter has got a man from a
different tribe. That is nonsense. There is nothing wrong with tribes and
regions. Unless we get rid of tribalism we are heading nowhere," Niringiye
said.

  At St. Paul's Cathedral Namirembe, the Archbishop of the Church of Uganda,
His Grace Henry Luke Orombi, prayed for calm to return to Kenya.

  "We should thank God that we have reached 2008. There are some families who
have lost their beloved ones like our neighbours in Kenya. I would like us to
identify with them," he said.

  The Kampala Archbishop, Dr. Cyprian Kizito Lwanga, preaching at Rubaga
Cathedral, also prayed for a quick resolution of the conflict in Kenya. He
urged Kabaka Muwenda Mutebi to respond to the President's offer for dialogue
over the land amendment Bill.

  By Cyprian Musoke, Geresom Musamali, Norman Katende and Paul Kiwuuwa.

  This article can be found on-line at: http://www.newvision.co.ug/D/8/13/604572

  © Copyright 2000-2008 The New Vision. All rights reserved.

  4

  __._,_.___
  MARKETPLACE

  Best of Y! Groups