Saturday, June 6, 2009

K Ssemogerere, the Colonial Visitor from the South

Mr. Ssemogeree’s narration of his “safari” through the Eastern and Northern
frontiers is not unlike that of a colonial adventurer of the 1800s. True to
form, a colonial traveler worth his salt must be carried by native guides to
negotiate the dangerous primitive terrains. And so Ssemogerere’s guide—and he
never fails to get one as in “I always find one”—showed him businesses
affiliated with the dangerous terrorist, lest he be kidnapped and made to carry
sacks of potatoes. Believe it or not, there have been kids from Kawempe,
Entebbe and what-have-you who “escaped” Kony and sought asylum in desirable
locales.

Of course, a “civilized” colonialist must dispense unsolicited advice to the
natives to save themselves against themselves: “There is no reason to prolong
this funeral” and follow the young who are free from past memories. But one
must ask: If the dethroning of a tribal king could engender orgies of revenge
killings twenty plus years later, don’t other have the right to mourn their
murdered kin as long as they wish?

And speaking of murder, we have just celebrated the act of a macabre mass
murderer at the dawn of a concept, called Uganda. Vacuous, grand standing
speeches were made. Even the President threw in a few banal biblical quotes he
does not believe in and, if he does, he is far too gone in the service of the
devil to help himself.

For those of us who subscribe and believe in the Newtonian law of action and
reaction—cause and effect—, could the karmic fruition of that single dastardly
act not be the one haunting the Pearl? If we cannot talk and face truth in
order to exorcise the past, the funeral must go on lest we forget and be caught
flat-footed and be victimized once again in the next round of orgasmic
violence.
Also check out Soko's Classics--June Featuring Dr. Nico

Odiya
Harm No One
Odiyatalks