We do not need a national army
 By Harold E. Acemah  (email the author <javascript:void(0);>)

Posted Tuesday, April 13 2010 at 00:00

On April 11, 1979, the Tanzanian Peoples Defence Forces entered Kampala and
liberated Ugandans from the military dictatorship of Gen. Idi Amin. That
year, most Ugandans believed, and with the benefit of hindsight, wrongly,
that ‘gun rule’ was finally over. We believed that Uganda had hit rock
bottom and we all hoped against hope that things could only get better. Now,
31 years down the road, if there is one thing Ugandans have learnt it is
that, we have learnt nothing, at best very little, from our tragic
post-colonial era.

Uganda’s history since independence in 1962 is written in blood, shed
unnecessarily by both civilian and military regimes. It is a tragedy of
monumental proportions, considering that our national problems are political
in nature and, as such, our problems cannot be resolved by military means.

For instance, the alleged rigging of the 1980 general elections, which was
the rationale for the 1981 - 1985 bush war and the root cause of Amin’s rise
to power, through a military coup d’état in 1971, were political factors.
Political problems must be resolved by political means. Sadly for Uganda,
election rigging no longer makes headline news but has, in fact, become
routine despite the bloody civil war which was fought under the pretext that
the 1980 general elections were rigged by the UPC. To the best of my
knowledge, no empirical evidence has so far been submitted to a Ugandan
court of law to substantiate the allegations made in 1980/81 by the
aggrieved principal party.

Related Stories

   - LETTER TO A KAMPALA FRIEND: Kabaka shed tears for all of
us<http://www.monitor.co.ug/OpEd/Commentary/-/689364/883884/-/ah1qihz/-/index.html>

 The notion of an unarmed country is not utopian. Costa Rica in South
America, a continent which has had a turbulent history like Africa,
abolished its national army. Costa Rica went through a painful period when
governments were changed through coups and counter- coups for many decades.
However, in 1948, Costa Rica decided to abolish its regular army. The
decision to demobilise the national army was spearheaded by the President of
the time, Jose Figueras who declared:
“The Regular Army of Costa Rica, worthy successor of the Army of National
Liberation, is handing over the keys of these barracks to the schools so
that they can be converted into a cultural centre.”

The founding junta of the Second Republic declared the national army
officially dissolved, because “we consider the existence of a good police
force sufficient for the security of our nation”. In Costa Rica, 1st
December is celebrated every year with pride as Army Abolition Day. All
African countries, including Uganda, should strive to follow the progressive
and visionary example of Costa Rica and declare their own “Army Abolition
Day.” Such a bold step would release, for economic and social development,
the colossal resources we squander on expensive military hardware.
In most African countries today, expenditure on the military and related
outfits consumes the bulk of national resources. Consequently, the most
important sectors, such as education, health and agriculture are neglected
and deprived of the resources necessary to achieve meaningful economic and
social development. Hunger and malnutrition are a direct result of the
failure to invest adequate resources in agriculture. Furthermore, the
importance and urgency to allocate sufficient resources for the education
sector cannot be over- emphasised. After all, knowledge is power, and
countries such as Singapore, Malaysia and South Korea which were more or
less at the same level of development with some African countries such as
Ghana, Nigeria and Uganda in the early 1960s have made a great leap forward
primarily because of the high priority they accorded to education.

In my opinion, the desire and time to abolish national armies in Africa has
come. It is the patriotic duty and challenge of all peace-loving Africans
and genuine friends of Africa to ensure that Africa is demilitarised by
2025. Costa Rican President Oscar Arias Sanchez stated in 1988: “Our young
people have the right to new heroes, to commanders who silence weapons and
practise dialogue.

“In these 50 years, in which military barracks have been converted into
schools, our symbol has been the teacher who extols intelligence, not the
soldier who oppresses his people.” We can surely do likewise.
In many African countries today, the primary role of the army is not to
defend the sovereignty and territorial integrity of our countries from
external aggression. As David C. Korten has argued in his book, Getting to
the 21st Century (1990), conventional warfare between nations has become all
but obsolete. In too many countries, the army is the primary enforcer of
injustice. Global de-militarisation should be a high priority on the agenda
for the 1990s.

What African countries desperately need today is a paradigm shift in the
concept of security. Instead of focusing on military security, we should
instead focus on human security which can best and effectively be achieved
by addressing the underlying causes of our internal and inter-state
conflicts including tribalism, nepotism, even witchcraft, poverty,
ignorance, disease as well as the unequal sharing of the national cake. For
example, roughly 10 per cent of Uganda’s population controls and consumes 90
per cent of our national resources. How outrageous and shameless can
Africa’s ruling elites be? If power belongs to the people, as Uganda’s
Constitution stipulates, it follows logically that the people of Uganda
should determine their destiny.

I propose that at an appropriate time Ugandans should, through a referendum,
decide whether we need a national army at all, because the role which all
our armies have played since independence has undeniably done more harm than
good to the people of Uganda and to our body politic. I believe that a well
trained, well paid, well motivated and professional Police Force recruited
from all parts of and denominations in Uganda can effectively take care of
law and order in our country.
*Mr Acemah is a political scientist and retired ambassador *