*Hallo Mr Ssemuwemba,

There is a detailed report/blueprint on federalism that was authored by a
wide range of us Ugandans.
That document was being kept by Mr Fulgensio Lugemwa.

Mr Lugemwa had no authority at all to pass our blueprint to Hon. Betty
Kamya.
**
We have to ask Mr Lugemwa who gave him the permission.

Mitayo Potosi.
Toronto.
**================*
Kamya and Museveni cannot be trusted on federalism
By Abbey K. Semuwemba  (email the author <javascript:void(0);>)

Posted Thursday, August 19 2010 at 00:00

Politics is a ‘don’t trust me’ ball game and Ms Beti Kamya decided to play
this game by hijacking federalism to further her political career, without
giving consideration to a lot of people that treasure federalism.

If she does succeed, we will be happy. If she fails, she will probably jump
on to something else to further her career. Nobody should deceive you that
there are no people in Forum for Democratic Change (FDC), Democratic Party
(DP), Conservative Party (CP) or Social Democratic Party (SDP) fighting for
federalism in Uganda as federalism is part of all these party’s manifestos.

I don’t know about UPC but I’m sure there are people doing it in other
parties. For instance, Owekitibwa Joyce Sebugwawo has been fighting for
Buganda as far as I can remember and nobody can compare her to Kamya in this
battle. If Kamya was that much interested in fighting particularly for
federalism, why didn’t she join CP which has been doing it since 1980s?

In Mexico, there was a man called Francisco Madero who preached federalism
and every one knew that he believed in it. He continued to preach federalism
even after becoming a president.

Though he was murdered in 1913 before he could achieve his goal of returning
“political personality” to local government, he was not like some people who
preached federalism and Ebyaffe in the bushes of Luweero to further their
political career, and after becoming presidents; everything just went out of
the window. That’s why I personally don’t trust people who hijack serious
causes because they have fallen out with their political parties.

As far as I know, FDC is not against federalism. It was part of their
manifesto in 2006 as it’s going to be in 2011 elections. Who could possibly
be against a broader distribution of power, decision-making capacity, and
economic resources—at present so centralised in the NRM regime?

It’s the NRMO leader, President Museveni, who is against federalism if one
follows what he has been writing or saying about Buganda and federalism in
the media. He said on WBS television last year that he will never grant
federo to Buganda and he is instead pushing for a regional government
branded ‘regional tier’. In any case, can the division of power implicit in
federalism be implemented by an NRMO government that has acquired and kept
its power under shady circumstances involving fraudulent elections in 2001
and 2006?

So Ugandans, trust me when I say that federalism in Uganda is still a long
way particularly if President Museveni and NRMO continue to lead us. You
can’t achieve it when a large number of politicians aren’t into it. There
are signs that Ugandan politicians are not even aware of the need to
consider what the role of federalism will be in the present situation.
Everyone is just on political survival of ‘how do I safeguard my
constituency’.

In Mexico, because the government in power was preaching and believing in
federalism, it invested a lot in educating the population and politicians on
what federalism was all about.

*Mr Semuwemba lives in UK*
*abbeysemuwe...@googlemail.com*