----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Ssemakula <james_ssemak...@yahoo.com>
To: "unaa...@yahoogroups.com" <unaa...@yahoogroups.com>
Cc: "uc...@yahoogroups.com" <uc...@yahoogroups.com>; Buganda Discussion
<buganda...@listserv.tamu.edu>; "gandat...@gandatalk.talklist.com"
<gandat...@gandatalk.talklist.com>; Baana
<baanababugandasouthafr...@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:07 PM
Subject: Re: [UNAANET] Charles Onyango Obbo-They set the dogs on Bukenya; which
NRM big man is next?

The Independent (Kampala)
Uganda: Kuteesa Admits Role in CHOGM Cars' Purchase, Denies Wrong
Isaac Mufumba

________________________________

Kampala — Foreign Affairs Minister Sam Kahamba Kuteesa has admitted involvement
in the procurement and hire of BMW vehicles at a cost of Ushs.9.4 billion
shillings for use during the Commonwealth heads of state and government meeting
(Chogm) Kampala 2007. He, however, denies any wrong doing.
"At no time did I influence the decision to purchase or lease. The final
decision to lease was made during a meeting presided over by the President," he
told the Public Accounts Committee (PAC).

PAC is investigating how the CHOGM Cabinet Sub-committee managed the budget for
the event amidst allegations of corruption.
Kuteesa who appeared before the committee on the morning of March 16 is the
first of eight Ministers expected to appear before PAC.
He said that the decision to lease the cars was made during a Feb.12, 2007
meeting at State House Nakasero where President Yoweri Museveni opposed the
purchase of cars on grounds that about 100 cars bought in the run up to the
1987 Preferential Trade Area submit held in Kampala could not be traced.
The president, he said, also had reservations about the cost of maintaining the
BMW vehicles.

The Minister also denied allegations of conflict of interest and influence
peddling in the award of the tender to Euro Car, the firm which supplied the
cars that were leased.
He said that Euro Car was incorporated in April 2005 with his family campany,
SECI obtaining 20 percent shares. Other shareholders, he said, were Albert
Gataare with 30 percent shares, Eugene Nyagahene with 20 percent shares and
Robert Kabonero with 30 percent shares.
He said that he surrendered SECI's interests in the firm and sold his shares to
Robert Kabonero on August 09, 2005 long before Uganda was confirmed as venue
for Chogm.

"Procurement of the vehicles was done in 2007. I've been seeing innuendos
suggesting that I pulled out of the company in order to benefit but I had
ceased being a shareholder more than two years before Chogm. I should have been
a magician to know that Uganda would be the venue," he said.
Uganda was confirmed as the venue for the meeting in November 2005, during a
commonwealth meeting held in Malta.
http://www.independent.co.ug/the-last-word/the-last-word/2626-kuteesa-admits-role-in-chogm-cars-purchase-denies-wrong

also view:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ04uxMqRvY

James Ssemakula
Note: The Inspector General of Government on looking into the CHOGM corruption
recommended that:

21.0     RECOMMENDATIONS
21.1.1  Prof Gilbert Bukenya and Hon Sam Kuteesa should be prosecuted for Abuse
of office in accordance with Section 11 of the Anti Corruption Act 2009.
21.1.2  Motor care (U) Ltd should be prosecuted for causing financial loss
contrary to Section 20 1) of the Anti Corruption Act.
21.1.3  Mr. Lars Bjere of Motorcare (U) Ltd should be prosecuted for refusal or
failure to comply with the directions of the Inspectorate of Government
contrary to Section 35 c) of the Inspectorate of Government Act.
21.1.4  Motorcare (U) Ltd should be blacklisted and should not transact with
theGovernment of     Uganda for a period of 10 years.

You may read the complete report on Chirs Obore's Blog at:
http://obore.blogspot.com/2011/06/original-chogm-reports-is-here-but-who.html