*Ugandans hate me, says General Saleh*

*Dear General Saleh,*

*Me, a Ugandan here in Toronto, I really love and hold you in very high
regard.*

*Don’t even dare say we all loath you, please!!!*

*Yours is brilliant analysis, i.e. To roll back “Rampant Privatization”. *

*Our Scientists have to work with our military. *

*In the 1960’s our Physics teacher at Kisubi, Brother Arthur Pilon, loved
to spend a lot of his time with the Airforce Officers at Entebbe. *

*Colonel Isaac Maliyamungu organised a fundraising resulting in the buying
of the famous Red Budo Bus; and a Reyland lorry. *

*So, similarly, I dream of our having General Saleh as the Patron of  “The
Uganda Mathematics Gauss Prize” for the best OL or AL Mathematics student.
*

*I remember General Saleh suggesting that we Ugandans take back The Uganda
Electricity Corporation away from the British Indian The Agha Khan.*

*Was it not the stupid and silly Permanent Secretary Kalisa who started
abusing and insulting General Saleh?  That Saleh was a village idiot for
wanting to reverse a day-light robbery of our UEB.*

*Kalisa throws the African under the bus to serve the British thieving
feral “Migunju”.*

*I was very angry with this Kalisa chap.  He pretends to know all the
Geology. *

*But Kalisa is no Geophysicist. He wouldn’t know a Navier-Stokes Tensor
Equation for Conservation of Energy-Momentum, if he was shown one. I hate
pretenders!!*

*And yet this Kaliisa insulted Our beloved General Saleh. *

*PS Kalisa slavishly acts like a white settler in our country.*

*So Please General Saleh, banish this idea that we hate you.*

*In Uganda we only hate British infiltrators. My dream is for a leader who
will close their Embassy like Idi Amin did. *

*Mitayo Potosi*

*============================*

*Entebbe*

Gen Caleb Akandwanaho aka Salim Saleh has revealed that he does not usually
make his views public on contentious national issues because he feels he is
a hated man.

He lamented that he had previously taken a public beating over his stand on
a number of national issues. “I have fallen into so many accidents,” he
said and added: “I tried to intervene in the banking sector but I became
the casualty.”

Gen Saleh, who is President Museveni’s younger brother, is known to pull
strings behind the scenes. It is the reason a section of civil society
activists called on him at his Garuga lakeside home off Entebbe Road on
Thursday to seek his support on emerging contentious issues in the
agriculture sector, especially the proposed GMO (Genetically Modified
Organisms) law now before Parliament.

The activists fear this could undermine the independence of peasant
farmers. “There are people who just hate something because Saleh is
involved,” he said, adding that even when he is right, his suggestions are
fought.

Gen Saleh, who was in a jovial mood, said he can only dialogue with people
who see value in him and are genuinely interested in his contribution.
The activists, some of whom appeared to have come face-to-face with the
general for the first time, looked shocked by the retired officer’s charm
and simplicity.

It was laughter when Gen Saleh asked his guests who the chair of the
meeting should be: “I cannot be the host as well as the chairman.”
The general said although agriculture was dear to him, the sector had been
messed up by the privatisation policy that saw the government withdraw its
direct involvement in it.

“All these problems today are because the Agriculture ministry is empty; it
is disintegrated, and I think that is the starting point,” he said.
Gen Saleh, who oscillated between listening and cracking jokes all through
the meeting, said bureaucracy in government is so rigid that he was made to
sit A-Level examinations, studying in the same class with his daughter, in
order to qualify for cabinet appointment.

The Constitution requires a minimum academic qualification of A-Level for a
person to be eligible for appointment to cabinet. In 1997, President
Museveni appointed Gen Saleh minister of state for Defence, but Parliament
refused to approve his appointment, on account that he did not have the
qualifications.

However, President Museveni retained Gen Saleh in the portfolio, but opted
to refer to him as “Overseer of Defence” instead of minister of Defence.

Apparently, this did not please Gen Saleh, who wanted the title “minister”
on his profile. He went back to school after more than 20 years when he was
last in a classroom at Kako Secondary School in Masaka District to pursue
his dream of becoming minister. He was later appointed minister of state
for Microfinance upon completion of his A-Level.

Gen Saleh told his guests that most of the issues affecting Uganda’s
economy today were created by the unrestrained privatisation of government
corporations which “I was fighting in my own way.” He did not elaborate
which “my own way” was.

Without digging into the details, Gen Saleh tried to impress upon his
visitors that some of the problems were a result of “forces so complex”
that it needed a common national understanding. He did not elaborate.

The civil society activists called for the government to take a lead role
in reintegration and coordination of agricultural activities in the country
in order to fend off future “negative forces” who may hijack Uganda’s main
sector that employs more than 70 per cent of the population.

Gen Saleh, who spoke with the guardedness of a soldier, said the looming
crisis needs collective understanding of how the government divested its
responsibility in agriculture.