Mandela family feud: Will to be announced soon

December 19, 2013  <http://www.herald.co.zw/author/shingirai/> Shingirai
Huni  <http://www.herald.co.zw/category/articles/international/>
International

 <http://www.herald.co.zw/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/mandlam.jpg>
Description: Mandla Mandela

Mandla Mandela

JOHANNESBURG. – A feud within Nelson Mandela’s family raged even as the
peace icon lay in state, with members arguing over access to his rural
homestead, a report said on Tuesday.
The Times daily reported that family members had “pushed out” Mandla
Mandela, the statesman’s oldest grandson and heir to his clan title, from
the family home in the village of Qunu in the Eastern Cape province where
the anti-apartheid hero was laid to rest on Sunday.

The newspaper said locks were changed at the Mandela house shortly after his
eldest daughter, Makaziwe, arrived there on Thursday – a week after her
father’s death and three days before his funeral.

Water and electricity were disconnected on the eve of Mandela’s state burial
in Qunu at the end of a 10-day official mourning period followed by millions
around the world. “The occupants, including Mandla, had no water when they
awoke on Sunday,” the paper said.

Makaziwe had apparently told Mandla to remove his cattle, pigs and dogs from
the homestead, and people closely aligned to the grandson were refused
access to the gravesite. No transport to the remote burial site was arranged
for Mandla’s mother.

Makaziwe is said to have overseen the funeral preparations, while Mandla was
the public face of the family – remaining with the coffin in a solemn vigil
throughout three days of lying in state at the Union Buildings in Pretoria
last week. The two have long been arguing about control of Mandela’s legacy.
In the last months of the statesman’s life, feuds between his close
associates and family members over the use of the Mandela name to sell
everything from wine to art threatened at times to overshadow reflections on
the great man himself.

Mandla Mandela, accusing some of his aunts of trying to gain control over
the Mandela millions, moved the remains of his late father, Makgatho who
died of AIDS in 2005, and Mandela’s two other deceased children to Mvezo, a
village near Qunu where the anti-apartheid hero was born and Mandla is the
tribal chief.

His family claimed this was a bid to force the statesman’s burial there – as
Mandela had wanted to be buried with the remains of his children – in order
to cash in on the ensuing tourism. Mandla was forced by a court order to
return the remains to Qunu.
Approached for comment, Mandla’s spokesman Freddy Pilusa declined to
confirm, or deny, the report.

“All I can say is that Chief Mandela would prefer to focus on upholding and
preserving the legacy of Madiba. His priority going forward will be to
concentrate on doing good for his community and contribute to serving the
people of this country.”

Nelson Mandela’s confidant and lawyer, George Bizos, last week said an
announcement on the contents of his will would be made “in due course”, and
described it as a “sacred document”.- SAPA.

 

 

           Thé Mulindwas Communication Group
"With Yoweri Museveni and Dr. Kiiza Besigye Uganda is in anarchy"
           Kuungana Mulindwa Mawasiliano Kikundi
"Pamoja na Yoweri Museveni na Dk. Kiiza Besigye Uganda ni katika machafuko"

 

<<image001.jpg>>

_______________________________________________
Ugandanet mailing list
[email protected]
http://kym.net/mailman/listinfo/ugandanet

UGANDANET is generously hosted by INFOCOM http://www.infocom.co.ug/

All Archives can be found at http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

The above comments and data are owned by whoever posted them (including 
attachments if any). The List's Host is not responsible for them in any way.
---------------------------------------

Reply via email to