Family of Dallas Ebola victim reaches settlement with hospital

 <http://www.reuters.com/> 

 

By By Lisa Maria Garza | Reuters – 2 hours 5 minutes ago

*
<https://ca.news.yahoo.com/photos/josephus-weeks-left-nephew-ebola-patient-t
homas-eric-photo-155212239.html> 

 
<https://ca.news.yahoo.com/photos/josephus-weeks-left-nephew-ebola-patient-t
homas-eric-photo-155212239.html> 

 

The Canadian Press - Josephus Weeks, left, nephew of Ebola patient Thomas
Eric Duncan, stands next to the Rev. Jesse Jackson as he finishes up
speaking to reporters Tuesday, Oct. 7, 2014, in Dallas. Duncan's …more 

DALLAS (Reuters) - The family of Thomas Eric Duncan, the only person to die
of Ebola in the United States, said on Wednesday it had reached a settlement
with the hospital that had treated him and admitted to making mistakes in
addressing his care.

The settlement includes financial support for Duncan's family but the
amounts were not revealed. Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital also said it
is creating a memorial fund in his honour to help Ebola victims in Africa.

"We have wrapped this up," family lawyer Les Weisbrod told reporters, adding
the family will not be billed for Duncan's care. "The size and details of
the settlement are confidential."

A suit against the Dallas hospital faced long odds due to the state's
regulations on malpractice suits that have made it one of the hardest places
in the United States to sue over medical errors, especially those that occur
in the emergency room, according to plaintiffs' lawyers and legal experts.

The hospital said in a statement the settlement "serves as an example of the
common-sense Texas laws that allow discussions to take place immediately and
be resolved quickly."

Duncan, a Liberian national who recently arrived in the United States, first
sought treatment at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in late September,
telling staff he had been in Africa.

It was later discovered that he had been in Liberia, one of three West
African countries hit hardest by the Ebola outbreak.

Two days after he was discharged, Duncan had to be carted back to the same
hospital by ambulance, and became the first person in the United States to
be diagnosed with the virus. He was placed in an isolation unit and died 10
days after being admitted.

Two nurses who treated Duncan, Nina Pham and Amber Vinson, both contracted
Ebola but recovered.

The settlement will provide financial support for Duncan's four children,
his mother, Nowai Korkoyah, who lives in North Carolina, and his father,
Jacob Duncan, who lives in Liberia.

The hospital had previously apologised to Duncan's family for not being able
to save his life and said it made a mistake by initially discharging him.

The Ebola outbreak has killed more than 5,100 people this year, most of them
in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.

(Writing by Jon Herskovitz; Editing by Doina Chiacu, Bill Trott and Jim
Loney)

                 Thé Mulindwas Communication Group
"With Yoweri Museveni, Ssabassajja and Dr. Kiiza Besigye, Uganda is in
anarchy"
                    Kuungana Mulindwa Mawasiliano Kikundi
"Pamoja na Yoweri Museveni, Ssabassajja na Dk. Kiiza Besigye, Uganda ni
katika machafuko"

 

_______________________________________________
Ugandanet mailing list
[email protected]
http://kym.net/mailman/listinfo/ugandanet

UGANDANET is generously hosted by INFOCOM http://www.infocom.co.ug/

All Archives can be found at http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

The above comments and data are owned by whoever posted them (including 
attachments if any). The List's Host is not responsible for them in any way.
---------------------------------------

Reply via email to