Jonny Rubin

I did not read George Okello’s response because I blocked him for refusing to
stop posting to me privately, these are national matters and must be discussed
openly. The piece I wrote in series seventeen is very important for it goes to
the very core of the Acholi violence. His response is exactly what they did
when in Kampala, in as much as I needed to use this chance to raise the names
of our people that were denied medical treatment and died so terribly and so
massively, George Okello now wants to use this chance to plead on how many
people have invested into HIV research and what I have written is a garbage
that must not be read. Well let us go to the facts of how Acholis handled the
HIV virus when it struck Kyotera.

They refused any one to publicly state that we had an epidemic, the churches
that tried to talk loudly and ask the government for assistance because so many
Baganda were dying, were continuously frustrated and threatened to be closed.
HIV became a disease talked about secretly as villages and villages were being
obliterated. Because there were so many reports coming into Mulago Hospital,
doctors decided to set up a study into Kyotera and Rakayi, that study was
conducted among others, by Doctor Nelson Ssewankambo, a now I think Principle
Makerere School of Medicine and Doctor John Wilson Carswell, who used to work
in Mulago hospital. They went into Kyotera and wrote a very critical report on
what is happening to our people, in that report Dr Carswell stated that it is
very unwise for the government of Uganda to deny that an epidemic exists in
Kyotera, and very many people are losing their lives. Dr Carswell went on to
state that what is happening in Kyotera and Rakai is very similar to what
happened in Chernobyl. These very good friends took a stand that HIV does not
exist in Uganda and those claiming that it exists are working for western
imperialists.

Dr. John Wilson Carswell a Scottish physician was one of the first medical
researchers working at Mulago to identify HIV/AIDS in Uganda. He was the doctor
in the film "the last King of Scotland played by James McAvoy" After he wrote
that report and handed it to these friends, they arrested him  that very day
and drove him to Entebbe airport, deporting him out of Uganda at a notice of 6
hours. The man came to North America and used the information he had got out of
the Uganda HIV cluster and begged The American government to force these people
to send treatment into Kyotera and Rakai. In fact Carswell was so concerned
about Uganda and those dying of HIV that he ended up becoming President George
Bush senior’s presidential adviser  on HIV/AIDS. That is the very same man that
they deported out of Entebbe. This man took a great stand against these friends
to a point that even when Bush the son came to power, he  continued to campaign
for Uganda which resulted to George Bush sending a whole whack of money to
Uganda to pay for the cocktail of every one.  It is important to note that had
this man abandoned HIV as Acholis did, half of Uganda population would be dead
today for we have managed to control HIV in Uganda because Bush pumped the
money. The information he used was from the very same man Acholis deported out
of the country.

Yes I timed this series to be posted this weekend as we hold the World AIDS
Day, because in as much as we recognize the danger of this disease, we can also
remember those that died for they were neglected.  Friends in as much as many
people were pushing Uganda government to feed Acholis that were in camps, I am
glad that we pushed to make sure that those in camps get a cocktail access as
well, and as far as I know many Ugandans have been using that medication,
including Acholis. This is a very serious discussion because these are facts
that we need all to get educated upon.

Until the removal of Tito Okello government from power, it was illegal in
Uganda to state that we have an HIV epidemic in the country.

EM

On the 49th Parallel

                 Thé Mulindwas Communication Group
"With Yoweri Museveni, Ssabassajja and Dr. Kiiza Besigye, Uganda is in anarchy"
                    Kuungana Mulindwa Mawasiliano Kikundi
"Pamoja na Yoweri Museveni, Ssabassajja na Dk. Kiiza Besigye, Uganda ni katika
machafuko"