Since The West Is Not Helping, African Union To Tackle Boko Haram Threat On
Its Own
January 17, 2015 | Posted by Yanique
<http://atlantablackstar.com/author/yaniquedawkins/>
Tagged With: African Nations
<http://atlantablackstar.com/tag/african-nations/>, African Union
<http://atlantablackstar.com/tag/african-union/>, Boko Haram
<http://atlantablackstar.com/tag/boko-haram/>, Terrorists
<http://atlantablackstar.com/tag/terrorists/>
1720

24

4
Google +
0
Reddit
0

2

0

[image: 10830872_742927589096412_3600126639468720917_o]
<http://atlantablackstar.com/2015/01/17/since-west-helping-african-union-tackle-boko-haram-threat/10830872_742927589096412_3600126639468720917_o/>Ghana’s
President John Mahama has said he and other African leaders will discuss
plans next week to “deal permanently” with Boko Haram militants.

He said he wanted African Union (AU) countries to produce a “specific plan
of action” for tackling the Nigeria-based Islamist group collectively.

“This has to end. We have to make this terror end,” he said.

Boko Haram has seized control of many towns and villages in north-east
Nigeria in a six-year insurgency.

It has also begun threatening Nigeria’s neighbours and earlier this week
launched a raid on a military base in northern Cameroon.

Mahama said: “We must find a way to act together to share information, to
synchronize our strategies, to pool our resources in order to rid the
entire African continent of terrorism.

“We cannot stand by silently, idly waiting for the international community
to intervene on our behalf.”

He said the crisis over Boko Haram was “increasingly getting to the point
where probably a regional or a multinational force is coming into
consideration.”

Earlier, Cameroon said Chad was sending a large contingent of troops to
help it fight incursions by Boko Haram.

It came three days after Cameroon said it had killed 143 Boko Haram
militants who had attacked one of its army bases at Kolofata near the
Nigerian border.

It was the first major attack on Cameroon since Boko Haram threatened the
country’s leader in a video posted online earlier this month.

Boko Haram used to be viewed as Nigeria’s problem—local militants spreading
chaos in one corner of a big country.

But that chaos is spreading fast. And with refugees now pouring into
neighboring countries, Cameroon, Niger and Chad are promising to join
forces to contain and crush Boko Haram.

So far there’s been more talk than action.

Obstacles include the usual political rivalries, funding, logistics, long
borders, and the sharing of sensitive information between foreign armies.

The African Union now has a chance to play a coordinating role; it’s done
so successfully in places like Somalia.

But ultimately Nigeria needs to solve this itself and its army is
struggling.

A French-led initiative called for Nigeria, Niger, Cameroon and Chad to
contribute 700 troops each to a multinational force against Boko Haram, but
no country has taken steps to implement the plan.

Chad previously had some troops based in Baga, a Nigerian town seized by
Boko Haram earlier this month, but they had been withdrawn before the
attack.