Meet Uganda's transgender basketball players: discriminated, harassed but
unbroken

Life as a transgender athlete in Uganda is a dangerous proposition: the
heavily Christian country is one of the world’s most homophobic. For Jay
Mulucha and Williams Apako, of the Magic Stormers, it’s a reality they have
come to terms with together, as a team

<http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/15/uganda-transgender-basketball-
players-magic-stormers#img-1>

<http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/15/uganda-transgender-basketball-
players-magic-stormers#img-1>

Jay Mulucha, a point guard for the Magic Stormers of Uganda’s women’s
basketball league, has encountered discrimination as a transgender athlete.
‘But for us we are lucky to have a team, a basketball team who can help each
other out.’ Photograph: JP Lawrence for the Guardian

JP Lawrence

Sunday 15 March 2015 08.00 GMT Last modified on Sunday 15 March 2015 14.46
GMT

On a black tarmac court in Uganda <http://www.theguardian.com/world/uganda>
, Jay Mulucha dribbled the ball between his legs as he surveyed the chaos
around him. The 5ft 2in point guard, his eyes up, concentrated on knowing
where to be and to what to do, where each player on the court was and where
the danger lie. But everything was all wrong. No one seemed to be in the
proper place. A whistle blew.

Jay picked up the ball and joined teammate Williams Apako in the huddle as
the coach re-explained the play. Jay and Williams are players on the Magic
Stormers, a women’s basketball team in the Federation of Uganda Basketball
<http://www.theguardian.com/sport/basketball>  Association (Fuba). Jay and
Williams also identify as transgender men in one of the world’s most
homophobic countries. And much as we like to think of sports as a refuge,
their story is a bit more complicated than that.

Basketball was introduced to Uganda by American Peace Corps volunteers in
the sixties. The president of Fuba estimates 1 million of Uganda’s 36
million people play the game. Still, football is the main game in Uganda,
with the upstart Fuba league just emerging.

When Jay began playing basketball as a teenager, for example, there was no
court at his boarding school. The boys would play on netball pitches at
night, and Jay would play among them. “I was the only person born
biologically female who liked basketball at that school,” Jay said, “and I
was the only one with a ball at that time.”

Jay loved the game because of the teamwork, the dance of the players as they
weave and interlock on the court. Each play was a puzzle to be solved. Jay
would watch basketball games on DVDs, marveling at Michael Jordan and LeBron
James. Further inspiration included his older sister and brother, who played
ball in high school league.

But Jay was also grappling with his identity. It was a long process, Jay
said, and he struggled alone, until a friend introduced him to Uganda’s LGBT
kuchu community. “I got to know I belonged to somewhere and that there were
people just like me in this world,” Jay said. “I wasn’t alone.”

This, however, is a dangerous proposition in Uganda. The heavily Christian
nation, like many former British African colonies, has long had anti-gay
laws, including the Anti-Homosexuality Act of 2014, known by Western media
as the “Kill the Gays bill”. At least 500,000 gay people live in Uganda,
according to the BBC, but many Ugandans understand homosexuality only
through what they’ve learned from religious leaders.

So when Jay came out in 2010, his family rejected him. Even his older
brother and older sister, who had been such an inspiration on the court,
turned their backs on him. “Since the whole town found out, wherever I go,
people feel threatened when I was in the company of their women,” Jay said,
“and even warned me off as if I were some kind of alien.”

Jay found refuge on the court, with the Magic Stormers. There, he met
Williams Apako, another queer basketball player. Williams, a 5ft 6in small
forward on the team, looked up to not only LeBron James, but transgender
heroes like Gabrielle Ludwig and the basketball player Kye Allums.

The two formed a bond on the team, which had other LGBT members on it,
people in the kuchu community who could understand and trust each other. “We
are being discriminated,” Jay said, “but for us we are lucky at least to
have a team, a basketball team who can help each other out.”

But whispers grew about the team. Uganda is a country where tabloids and
radio stations publicly out people, and whispers can be dangerous. Whispers,
Jay said, led to his firing as a high school referee in 2014. They had told
him they suspected him of being gay and favoring a female student. Players
on the Magic Stormers wondered if the whispers biased referees and sponsors
against them.

But sometimes the discrimination was more obvious. Players on other teams
would advise rookies not to join the Magic Stormers, and during games would
point at them, call them names. They would say: “Don’t touch me, don’t even
come close to me, we don’t want to touch a gay person.”

Jay remembers the urgent phone call he got one night last season. Williams
had been assaulted. Jay rushed to the clinic where Williams had been taken.
Williams’s eye was gashed and swelling, his arms and legs bruised. And he
was crying.

The Magic Stormers had had a game earlier that night. Normally, the Magic
Stormers go home after games, but Williams had stayed to watch the remaining
games alone. The rowdy crowd began pointing fingers at him, yelling at him,
hitting him. “They said, ‘We will rape you, we will teach you how to be a
woman,’” Williams said.

After the beating, Williams stayed in treatment for a month. He was scared
to come back to the team, back to the sport he loved. Additionally, the 2014
passage of the Anti-Homosexuality Act left him without a job. Only after
much cajoling did he decide to return to the team.

“Before I was discriminated and segregated,” Williams said, “I used to dream
basketball, talk basketball, breath basketball. That’s how much obsessed I
was with the sport, until my energies began going down slowly by slowly, due
to the nature and setting of sports in my country.”

Jay too spoke to me of the way reality intrudes upon his play. Sometimes
when he is stressed, he’ll head out to the court and play. It is a refuge
then, its boundaries pushing out the world. “But still, at the end of it
all, life goes on, and problems are still there,” Jay said.

Today, Jay and Williams are practicing for another season with the Magic
Stormers. Last year, despite all the troubles, they finished third out of 10
teams in the Fuba women’s league, and they hope to improve on that.

However, they hope to make their biggest impact off the court. The two are
both advocates of LGBT rights in Uganda, and while the Anti-Homosexuality
Act was struck down, a new version is in the works despite the opposition of
a lively and growingly outspoken kuchu community. Jay and Williams now hope
to help people learn to love themselves, whoever they are.

“I have suffered humiliation right from my time of growth, always referred
to as a man in women’s clothing, before I discovered that I was actually
trans,” Williams said. “And now I celebrate my identity. I am proud that I
am transgender and playing basketball.”

EM

On the 49th Parallel

                 Thé Mulindwas Communication Group
"With Yoweri Museveni, Ssabassajja and Dr. Kiiza Besigye, Uganda is in
anarchy"
                    Kuungana Mulindwa Mawasiliano Kikundi
"Pamoja na Yoweri Museveni, Ssabassajja na Dk. Kiiza Besigye, Uganda ni
katika machafuko"