Friends

Many have argued that we need a government change, and that argument has
generated its own life as we speak. I am just cautioning you that this call
has been around since 1971. To those of us that have lived a little while,
the word we need a government change became a morning pill since Amin came
to power. And yes in 1979 we  started to change our governments faster than
any other African country. We have had the following presidents since the
fall of Amin,  Yusuf Lule for 69 days, Godfrey Lukongwa Binayiisa for 327
days, Paul Muwanga for 10 days, Presidential Commission for 207 days, Milton
Obote for 4 years and 222 days, Bazillio Olara Okello for 2 days, Tito
Okello for 184 days, to the encumber Yoweri Museveni who is about now 30
years in power. We have had 8 presidents since the departure of Iddi Amin
from power in 1979, but the call of a government change keeps on growing
larger and larger, when the situation is not getting better but very worse.

There is also two very interesting factors on all the 9 presidents that have
lead Uganda after Iddi Amin, they are all from UPC,  but they all used
Acholi and Langi that inflict violence to people in day light. When you
actually look at UPDF when it was very bad in Somalia, when women were raped
the most, weapons stolen and sold to rebels, and food rations of soldiers
stolen and sold, the UPDF commander in Somalia at a time, was Brig. Paul
Loketch, an Acholi and a brother of Gwokto. So this violence has been
following Ugandans wherever Acholi and Langi pass, and we simply failed to
put our fingers on it,  but only continuing to call for government change.
Let you never forget this Acholi that took a gun in Luzira and killed people
then crashed their chickens to death.
<http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ucq9r> Kayihura condemns Luzira shooting
incident - DailyMotion .And that Is the kind of violence we have lived under
since Amin’s departure. What we need in Uganda is not a government change
but an understanding on how violent Acholi are, if we can get our heads to
understand that, but find a solution to it, we will be half way solving
Uganda’s problems. Acholi must stop to cry victims when they are the
God-fathers of violence in our country.

Department of Women and Gender Studies and Faculty of Arts, Peace and
Conflict program Makerere University wrote a report  it submitted to
Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Kampala office, under a heading “Gender Dimensions
of Conflict: Strategies for Sustainable Peace”  Read these direct quotes
from those that have lived under the tyranny of Acholi, then wonder how many
failed to get a chance of documenting their sufferings. After you read these
testimonies, you will realize that  Acholi violence is real and we as
Ugandans need to discuss it but very candidly.

Jessica, Luweero

During the conflict in Luweero, our father was killed when he was trying to
prevent

the soldiers from raping my mother and me. After killing him and my mother,
we ran

away together with my brothers. Our lives were reduced to that of paupers
and right

now we are just struggling to survive. We used to be fairy well off. For
instance we

had 180 hybrid animals; hens and goats and a coffee plantation. We lived in
a decent

house and also owned a car. Because of the conflict, we lost all. I was
unable to

complete my primary education and my brothers only managed to complete A
Level.

My uncle chose to pay school fees for the boys leaving me out saying that I
could get

married and survive with limited education which the boys could not do.
Surviving on

my own has been difficult since I was raped by a group of soldiers and
almost

everyone in the village has heard my story. This greatly limited my chances
of finding

a partner. Even if there was one who was interested in me, I do not think I
would have

married him. I hate men!”

Agnes, Bar camp Lira

“One thing that I can never fail to forget in my life is what rebels did to
my two

daughters, they had just come back from school like yesterday and at night
rebels came,

picked them at night together with me, took us for some distance where their
friends were,

on reaching one of their leaders said he wants these girls, I stood firm and
told them to

first kill me before doing anything onto my daughters, they tied me and
called for a Panga

so that they cut my neck, but something changed their mind and said since am
resisting

they will sleep with my daughters while am seeing so that they see what I
can do, and they

did it, and now I don’t know whether they are not sick already with AIDS,
the only thing I

can now say is that God should forgive them because they are even our
children who were

also abducted, and they were even speaking pure Lango”.

Santa, Awer camp, Gulu

“I don’t even know where to begin from, this war has brought me to a level I
feel God should only

take away my life. I can not hide this from you my son. I have been forced
into sex two times. The

worst happened in front of my children by rebels, that was when we were not
yet told to come to the

camp from Amuru village where my home was. The second time it happened, I
never told my husband

because I knew it would make him weaker and abandon me, the only thing I
know now is that, we in

the camp are all going to die of the diseases, so my plea is that, the
government should talk peace

with Kony and he comes out so that we go back to our villages and wait for
our death.

Dorcus, Barr Stock Farm, Lira

I was abducted when I had gone to visit my uncle in Okwang, we had been
hearing

rumors that rebels are coming from Kitgum side and heading towards Soroti,
so we

thought they would pass from a different direction but at night they came up
to the village

where I was, they abducted 17 people from that place, we went but on our way
they kept

on cutting people who mention that they are already tired, they killed three
people and we

all got scared and started fearing, we continued going, when we reached some
where

inside Kitgum, all the men were released, telling us that Kony wants young
girls only this

time so there is no need of taking men, they then divided all of us among
themselves as

wives, we were now only six girls, I fell sick and at that time I was
already pregnant then

my baby came out prematurely and died, I was then released when I was very
weak, I

walked up to Kitgum town, my sister was killed on the way when we had yet
walked for

less than twenty miles, it still disturbs me so much when I remember how she
was crying

calling my name to help her stop the rebels not to cut her neck, at times I
don’t sleep

when I remember, I just feel like killing myself

Stay in the forum for Series two hundred and eighty four is on the way
------>

EM

On the 49th Parallel

                 Thé Mulindwas Communication Group
"With Yoweri Museveni, Ssabassajja and Dr. Kiiza Besigye, Uganda is in
anarchy"
                    Kuungana Mulindwa Mawasiliano Kikundi
"Pamoja na Yoweri Museveni, Ssabassajja na Dk. Kiiza Besigye, Uganda ni
katika machafuko"