On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 03:55:12PM +0900, Etsushi Kato wrote:
> Could you elaborate more about how to reproduce this?  Especially
> about the key sequence.

Sure:
1. Switch to anthy input
2. Hit a-i-s-u-r-a-n-d-o-j-i. This produces:
  あいすらんどじ
3. Hit þ-æ-ö. It might not be limited to ascii/non-ascii, but so far
all extra-ascii characters I've tried have the same effect, e.g. ł, ĸ,
and ç. This produces:
  þæöあいすらんどじ

* Hitting space to get the candidates and enter to commit them
gives:
  þæöアイスランド字

* Hitting backspace deletes the last character entered into the
pre-edit, giving:
  þæöあいすらんど

> Also, does this happen with GTK+ applications
> too? or specific with XIM?

Arg! I felt sure I'd experienced this the same all over. No, this
particular behaviour seems to be specific to XIM.

But before someone lets out a sigh of relief, both GTK and Qt
applications have their own odd, distinct behaviour:

GTK:
1. Switch to anthy input
2. Hit a-i-s-u-r-a-n-d-o-j-i. This produces:
  あいすらんどじ
3. Hit þ-æ-ö. This replaces the entire pre-edit with the last
non-ascii character (one at a time).

* Continuing as though one had never entered the non-ascii
characters works as normal. The input method takes no notice of them.

* Backspace, however, deletes from the pre-edit the same as in XIM.

Qt:
1. Switch to anthy input
2. Hit a-i-s-u-r-a-n-d-o-j-i. This produces:
  あいすらんどじ
3. Hit þ-æ-ö. This appends the characters to the pre-edit, producing:
  あいすらんどじþæö

* Hitting space to get the candidates throws the non-ascii characters
over to the front of the pre-edit, giving the same result as in XIM:
  þæöアイスランド字

* Hitting backspace deletes only from the pre-edit, as in XIM.

> > I'm running 1.5.6. Is this the intended behaviour or something one
> > should file in the bugzilla?
>
> BTW, 1.5.7 is the latest version recommended to use.

Sorry. After I didn't find any mention of this in the mailing list or
release notes, I figured this hadn't even been noticed yet. I can
upgrade if you think it will change anything, but now I have to be off
to buy some Christmas gifts.

Cheers,
Martin

--