I don't think Jira is the place to put architectural discussions like
"index everything" (not sure what that even means) or an implementation
for singletons, where I think the name is already misleading (because
it's about a problem that is real, but points at a solution that I
happen to disagree with).

These are good points, but maybe the answer is just to be careful to
record what the real problem is in the JIRA issue and try not to
introduce a bias towards a particular solution.  If it's a real
problem, then I think it's appropriate to have an issue opened for it.

Also maybe the JIRA "Wish" category is for things that some particular
person (whether developer or user) would like to see.  It's still
appropriate to have the discussion on the dev-list and ultimately
decide to reject (or modify) the idea.  And sure, we can refrence the
mail archive when we decide to close or edit the JIRA issue.

If we don't do this, then we'll need a Wiki or something to keep track
of these things, and I don't see the benefit of that.

-Adam