Marshall Schor wrote:
XCAS is used as
a) the generic name for an externalized CAS
b) a specific format for the externalized CAS (not XMI).

In the documentation, should we use XCAS in the (a) sense, or substitute XMI-formatted-CAS (or another term?) for it?

-Marshall

We should not use it in the a) sense, as there are and will continue to be other serialization forms (non-xml).

If we drop the old XCAS format, I would suggest using the term XCAS to refer to the new XMI-style serialization -- or is that going to confuse long-time UIMA users? If we decide not to use XCAS in that sense, then I would vote for eliminating the concept entirely.

--Thilo