Marshall Schor wrote:
Re: Need for "Global indexes"
<snip>
What is the use case or the global view set of indexes? I can't recall the use-case for this, beyond being able to get all the data. This thread has suggested other utilities that can effectively "merge" the results from other view's index instances. Are there other use cases?

I don't know of any either. All I can think of is tooling and utilities such as serialization, and those might be expected to work with views.

We had once discussed a use case where some collection of parts (annotators) that worked with views wanted to share some data that was global to their views. We thought that the best-practice way to do that was to have this collection of parts define another "view" to serve as their "global-sharing-place", in preference to a system-provided global-sharing-place because that would enable this collection of parts to be combined with other parts in the future without having any accidental collisions in the global-sharing-space,
from other unknown users of this space.

See my reply to your other post. From a CAS perspective, I don't think that's a problem. I don't even want to start thinking about what a specifier for that would look like.

I guess I would vote to have the thing that gets all the FS in all views be just a utility
method.
I hope if we put our minds to it we can get this done for 2.1.  I'm
hoping after 2.1 we can go a good long time without breaking backwards
compatibility again.
+1 to that :-)

Just a word of caution here. We not only need to agree on the specification, we also need to implement all this. There are some non-trivial CAS changes under discussion right now. Even if we can defer some internal clean-up to the next release, the functionality needs to be there.

--Thilo