On 12/22/06, Marshall Schor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Re: What to do about Document Annotation for 2.1.

a) Do the work to make it easy to get singletons (or whatever we're
calling this feature) out of the CAS

b) Change JCasGen to not generate DocumentAnnotation if the merged
version = the base

c) Add the DocumentAnnotation jar back to the build, with instructions
to remove it from the
deployment and substitute a JCasGenerated one if the application needs a
special one.

I've may have forgotten some point(s) - does this address the issues?

My only complaints are that I think it is ugly to have a
uima-jcas-builtin-types.jar (or uima-document-annotation.jar or
whatever its called) that has just this one class in it, and I think
this this is a dangerous feature that users can hang themselves with.

But, I suppose I can live with this solution... keeping support for
the feature so we don't break compatibility, but putting sufficient
warnings in to do our best to keep users from hanging themselves with
it.

I do think that it seems like an improvement to not generate a new
version of DocumentAnnotation if the merged version = the base.  Why
didn't we think of that before?

-Adam