Adam Lally wrote:
On 12/29/06, Thilo Goetz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I didn't mean ignore; there isn't much to ignore right now ;-)  I'm
waiting to jump on any technical discussion that might develop there,
but there is nothing.  I don't have the bandwidth to initiate anything
myself.  However, I'm certainly prepared to sell anything to the OASIS
TC that we develop here.

Why use the bandwidth to design it here, rather than initiate it at
OASIS?
<snip>

Because things are happening here, and not at OASIS. If and when that changes, we can take our discussion there. If you would like to start some discussion at OASIS, feel free.

The genesis of views was to be consistent with what we're doing with
indexes.  So adding objects to our indexes is supposed to be
interpreted that the objects were "directly asserted to be in the
view".  But consider the following things which aren't quite in sync:

(1) The XMI serialization could contain objects that are not in any
view, nor referenced from anywhere.  Our implementation doesn't
support that.  We'd lose such objects on a deserialization followed by
serialization, and even if we didn't lose them, not providing any APIs
to access them seems poor.

I don't see that we would loose such objects. You just define an index over all objects and there you are. That also gives you an API to access them. And no, we should not provide such an index by default. Many, if not most, applications won't need it.

(2) If we decided to add some kind of global indexes to our
implementation (as was being recently discussed), that has no
representation in the XMI serialization.  This seems like a problem to
me.  How can we add things to our implementaiton that are supposed to
be persistent across CAS serialization without opening up a discussion
of what the serialization format looks like?

I didn't look at the details of the XMI proposal because frankly, I'm not very interested in XML serialization. The conceptual part of the report does not contradict that approach, at least the way I read it. I probably missed something. Where does it say you can't have global indexes (or the OASIS equivalent thereof)?

--Thilo