On 1/3/07, Marshall Schor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Thilo Goetz (JIRA) wrote:
> <snip>This should be revisisted once we know what our distribution layout
will be like, and what a good way is to get at the manuals.

I think Adam has already set up a distribution layout.  Adam - can you
put this info up (if it's not already up) somewhere on our website, and
maybe a couple of strategically placed links to it so developers can
find it?

I recommend that you build one for yourself and see what it looks
like.  Instructions for building it are on the website (part of the
section on building from Maven).  If you can already build the jars
using Maven, building the whole distribution is just one more simple
command.  It does take a while to run, but you don't have to do it
often.

Referring to things in the distribution directory at runtime is always
going to be tricky.  It's nice if anything that a tool like CVD needs
to refer to would be in the classpath.  If it's somewhere else like in
the "docs" directory then there's not a good way to find it - about
the only way is to rely on the UIMA_HOME env. var being set and passed
via -D on the java command line, which I'd prefer to avoid.  Of
course, duplicating manual content between the docs directory and the
jars isn't a great solution, either.  I supppose we could add the docs
dir to the classpath (in setUimaClasspath.bat/sh and the sample
Eclipse .classpath file).  Although, that wouldn't work for us when we
run from the development source tree.  I can't think of any other
solutions at the moment.

Yesterday I had another issue related to this - I was running an example
"application" in uimaj-examples that had a path to a descriptor.  This
path was set up to work in the "distribution", but I was running it from
our source tree layout, which is different (it's "maven-like").

The result: the example didn't work.  The fix: change the "relative
path" to include "src/main/" at the beginning.  This is not a fix
because it breaks the "distribution" layout.  I hope we can come up with
a better solution.

We could make our directory structures consistent.  But even so
relying on a relative path isn't great - for example from the command
line you have to run with your working directory being the root
apache-uima dir or else it won't work.  Classpath lookup is more
robust.  We could put just this example descriptor in the classpath,
or we could put them all in the classpath.

-Adam