Thilo Goetz wrote:
I have finished porting the CVD manual to DocBook. I'm not too happy with the result, but I guess it's not much worse than the LaTeX version. I spent a lot of time trying to get the screenshots to look right, with very little to show for it.

I did not manage to get small screenshots to not get enlarged in the PDF version. I played around with various attributes, but found nothing that many any difference: my tiny menu screenshots always come out huge in the PDF version.
You probably hit some real bugs in the system.

The PDF sizes can be altered using width="xxx" where xxx is in units other than percent. (This limitation might be a bug in the current level of FOP).

I also found that using the width attribute on imagedata has strange consequences. It makes things go off-center in Firefox,

This was a bug in the CSS style sheets. I'm correct that. It turns out that when you use "width", the Docbook wraps the image in a "table". This website http://theodorakis.net/tablecentertest.html shows the results of lots of attempts to get centering to work for tables in various browsers. I changed the method in the CSS style sheets to one suggested here that works in more browsers, for tables. With this, Firefox no longer goes off-center.

though not in IE. Also, I got the online manual to work in Gladis again. There, the width attribute has the effect of screenshots to look compressed, they're completely unreadable.

What do you use for browsing in the CVD? Is it a Swing browser widget? Does that widget recognize CSS style sheets, or can it be made to do so?

Thanks for reporting these things - I'm looking at the PDF output and seeing what I can do to get that to the right size, properly centered, without damaging the html.

-Marshall