Marshall Schor wrote:
I applied this patch, and committed the changes except for 2 files which I think are not "needed":

build.xml
preferences.ini

If these should be checked in, please explain the reason. I think they're either built by the mvn eclipse:eclipse operation or are particular to individual users depending on their personal Eclipse setup.

In order to get this to compile properly, I had to make some import changes, in particular, there were imports:

import com.sun.org.apache.xml.internal.serialize.OutputFormat;
import com.sun.org.apache.xml.internal.serialize.XMLSerializer;

which I changed to

import org.apache.xml.serialize.OutputFormat;
import org.apache.xml.serialize.XMLSerializer;

Is this correct? The other imports seem to be particular to the sun jvm and not part of other jvms. They're also marked "internal" which makes me think they can't be safely used here.
I think using

import org.apache.xml.serialize.OutputFormat;
import org.apache.xml.serialize.XMLSerializer;

so not OK. When I remember correctly, these classes are not available when using a plain SUN JVM. Is that possible?

I think we changed in the past the whole UIMA code, that we don't have to use these classes. Is it possible to use the

org.apache.uima.util.XMLSerializer that can also write formatted output using javax.xml.transform.Transformer with javax.xml.transform.OutputKeys?

-- Michael