Here's what differential analysis found:

The working uimaj POM had

   . . .
     <version>2.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
     <properties>
         <uimaj-version>2.3.0</uimaj-version>
<uimaj-release-version>${uimaj-version}-incubating-SNAPSHOT</uimaj-release-version>
   . . .

I noticed that 2.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT was available as a property, so in the "improved" (but non-working :-) ) uimaj-ee POM it read:

   . . .
   <properties>
         . . .
         <uimaj-ee-version>0.7.0</uimaj-version>
<uimaj-ee-release-version>${uimaj-version}-incubating-SNAPSHOT</uimaj-release-version>
   . . .
   <version>${uimaj-ee-release-version}</version>

Fix was to not use a property substitution in the <version> element, and instead copy the uimaj-ee-release-version tag. This is probably a Maven defect - I'll see (on the maven list).

-Marshall

Marshall Schor wrote:
Thilo Goetz wrote:

Marshall Schor wrote:
For those of you who may try and build uimaj-ee in the sandbox, there is a 1-time maven startup problem.

How do we do this in the core?  Aren't we using the same
mechanisms there?
Good question.  I did this experiment:
   delete uimaj-ee from local maven repo, try building - get error.
   delete uimaj from local maven repo, try building - works!

So, I guess I'll do some "differential analysis" to see what's going on... My guess is that I "factored" something that shouldn't be factored into the parent.

-Marshall

--Thilo