+1

Jörn

On Jan 21, 2008, at 10:49 AM, Michael Baessler wrote:

+1 for changing the name to uima-as.

I think a clear and transparent name is very important that people get interested in and work with. It is also better and easier to integrate to the core if we decide to move it from the Sandbox to the core any time in the future.

-- Michael

Marshall Schor wrote:
There is a new sandbox project, currently called uima-ee. Should we change it's name?

A suggested alternative uima-as.

Some arguments pro / con changing the name

Pro:

 1. uima-as goes with UIMA, Asynchronous Scaleout, and the name,
    therefore, more clearly matches the functionality.  This is good
    from the perspective of being clear and transparent to new
    users/developers.
 2. uima-ee has no official meaning; it came from a practice of
labeling some products with these kinds of features as "enterprise
    edition", such as J2EE.  This is kind of a marketing buzzword,
without any specific semantics, and could be used to include other
    kinds of enterprise scale capabilities beyond asynchronous
    scaleout (so it is too broad for the current thing, at least).

Con:

 1. uima-ee is already in use; we'd have to do extra (but probably
    1-time) work to change it
 2. uima-ee is broader - so we could include additional "enterprise
    scale" capability, over time, in the new project, not related
    specifically to Asynchronous Scaleout.
3. Written without the dash, uima-as becomes uima as and is confusing
    (because "as" is a common English word, whereas uima ee has no
    such issue
 4. It's always more make-work work to change a name than you think

There are probably other arguments pro / con, please post if significant :-)

Please register your opinions on doing this name change. When you do, please also indicate the strength of your view and reasons for it :-) Except for the work, I'm slightly in favor of changing to uima-as.

-Marshall