I tried implimenting this change, and 2 test cases fail. They look like they are failing exactly in the case where the result specification has a TypeOrFeature with a specified type other than "x-unspecified", and the containsTypeOrFeature method is being called using the form which doesn't pass in an explicit type, so is being treated as if x-unspecified was passed in. As discussed below, this should give "false", but the text cases expect true.

Should I change the test cases?  The failing ones are:

ResultSpecification_implTest: It defines a result spec containing the type "FakeType" for languages "en", "de", "en-US", "en-GB", but not "x-unspecified". So the call rs.containsType("FakeType") returns false, but the test says it should return true (because the set of languages for FakeType is missing x-unspecified).

The other test is the PearRuntimeTest.
This test loads two Pears, runs them and then looks at the CAS result.
The descriptor for one of the tests, the TutorialDateTime descriptor says it output 3 types, *but for language "en"* (only, and not for x-unspecified in particular).

The result spec built for the aggregate is empty (the test case has nothing specified here). When it is passed down to the delegates, the setResultSpecification for the Pear descriptor in PearAnalysisEngineWrapper is called. This is not implemented, so it inherits from its super, which is AnalysisEngineImplBase - and this impl does nothing (expecting to be overridden). I'll write this up as a Jira issue. But even if this were "fixed", because the outer Aggregate had nothing specified in its capability, the inner primitive analysis engine is set up initially with a "default" result spec, which is its own output capabilities. This spec says it should produce results just for "en", and in particular it should *not* produce output for x-unspecified. This annotator is written to respect the result spec, so it doesn't produce anything.

Anyone object to my changing the test cases?

-Marshall

Marshall Schor wrote:
Language specifications are in a hierarchy. For example, from most inclusive to finer subsets, we have:

x-unspecified
  en
    en-us

A result spec's most common use is in a negative sense - Annotators can check a result spec and if it doesn't contain the type or feature, it can skip producing that type or feature.

For simplicity, let's consider we have only one type or feature, called TF.

If the annotator thinks it produces TF for language en-us only, and wants to check if should skip producing this, it calls containsType/Feature(TF, "en-us"). This is defined in the current impl to return true, if the result spec has languages x-unspecified, en, or en-us.

Let's consider the opposite case. Suppose we have an annotator that can produce TF for "en". Suppose the result-spec has an entry for TF only for the language "en-us". Should that annotator produce results? If it calls containsType/Feature(TF, "en"), it will get a "false" (current implementation).

After some thinking about this and some discussion (because I don't think I got it right, just by myself :-) ),
it seems that this is correct.  Consider the following case:
The language of the document is "en", and the containing (top-most) aggregate specified explicitly it wanted output only for en-us. In that case, the annotator should not produce any results, because the language of this doc is not en-us, and the assembler put together things that they said should only output en-us results.

This same logic seems to apply to x-unspecified:

Suppose we have an annotator that can produce TF for "x-unspecified". Suppose the result-spec has an entry for TF only for the language "en". Should that annotator produce results? If it calls containsType/Feature(TF, "x-unspecified"), it should get a "false" (broken in the current implementation!, but was true I think in the previous one).

Assume the language of the document is "x-unspecified", and the containing (top-most) aggregate specified explicitly it wanted output only for en. In that case, the annotator should not produce any results, because the language of this doc is not "en", and the assembler put together things that they said should only output "en" results.

Do others agree with this?

-Marshall