Ken -

Background: UIMA-AS makes use of Apache ActiveMQ. It recently came to our attention that Apache ActiveMQ is classified for export under the 5D002 regulation. Because of this, UIMA-AS, which uses ActiveMQ and plans to distribute it with the UIMA-AS release (not yet done, but soon...) needs to be also classified as 5D002. See this thread for discussion about this requirement: http://markmail.org/search/?q=apache%20legal-discuss%20jean%20anderson#query:apache%20legal-discuss%20jean%20anderson+page:1+mid:snluth3ikwpd7ztn+state:results

Can you arrange to update the official Apache list of projects classifed as 5D002, for UIMA-AS? I do not have karma to do this. There are detailed instructions for how to update this here: http://apache.org/dev/crypto.html#sources

The information you need is as follows: Go to the section for the incubator.apache.org projects. The source there will look like:

<Project href="http://incubator.apache.org/";>
 <Name>Apache Incubator Project</Name>
 <Contact><Name>Noel J. Bergman</Name></Contact>

 <Product> ... </Product>
 <Product> ... </Product>
 <Product> ... </Product>
</Project>

Add a new "Product":

 <Product>
   <Name>Apache UIMA-AS</Name>
   <Version>
     <Names>development</Names>
     <ECCN>5D002</ECCN>
<ControlledSource href="http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/sandbox/trunk/uima-as";>
       <Manufacturer>ASF</Manufacturer>
<Why>Designed for use with Apache ActiveMQ, and UIMA-AS includes Apache ActiveMQ in its distribution</Why>
     </ControlledSource>
   </Version>
   <Version>
     <Names>all releases starting with 2.2.2-incubating</Names>
     <ECCN>5D002</ECCN>
<ControlledSource href="http://people.apache.org/dist/incubator/uima/source/uima-as/";>
       <Manufacturer>ASF</Manufacturer>
<Why>Designed for use with Apache ActiveMQ, and UIMA-AS includes Apache ActiveMQ in its distribution</Why>
     </ControlledSource>
   </Version>
 </Product>

Note that the directory on people for distribution of uima-as doesn't yet exist...

After updating this, can you do the email to BIS by following the instructions here: http://apache.org/dev/crypto.html#notify

We'll take care of updating our license per http://apache.org/dev/crypto.html#inform

-Marshall