Thilo Goetz wrote:
Bhavani Iyer wrote:
Hi Thilo,

There are two separate requirements being addressed here:
1) delta CAS for optimizing remote services.
Here its agreed that there should be no measurable overhead when there
is no remoting.
     There will be a single test against the high water mark.  The high
water mark defaults to 0.  Only when the high
     water mark is set to a value greater than 0 is logging of  CAS
operations on FSs below the high water mark enabled.
2)  Journaling for debugging  aggregate components.
This capability is for Core UIMA as well as for remote services. This will have some additional overhead and will be have to be explicitly enabled
by the aggregate controller for a component. Basically the aggregate
controller enables journaling by setting the high water mark before the call
to process.

Regarding using the high water mark, this is already being used for merging
CAS.

That's not a good thing, and certainly no justification of using
the same design here.
Can you say more about why this is not a good thing? I see it as an internal design detail.
I thought you needed to keep a list of the
added FSs anyway.
I don't think such a list is kept. There is a list of modified FSs below below the high water mark, and a list of things added/removed/modified with the indexes (in other words, if new feature structures were added, but not indexed, they would not be in any list).

-Marshall