On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 10:30 PM, Balkrishnan. V <balkrishna...@iiitb.net> wrote:
> Marshall Schor <m...@...> writes:
>

>> Did you try increasing your java heap size?  What size are you running with?
>>
>> -Marshall
>>

> Hi Marshall,
>
> ThankYou for your time.
>
> Yes, I tried resetting the jvm-heap-size to 1327MB and now I am able to run
> the
> CVD successfully with 101MB text-log-file.
>
> Can you please let me know :
> (i) Is this maximum heap-size setting (1327MB) enough to handle a text-file of
> size 2GB(say) ? If not, then any idea the approximate maximum text-file size
> that can be handled with this heap-size setting ?
> (ii) Why I am unable to increase the JVM Heap-Size more than 1327MB ?
> (iii) What should I do to handle the text-files that cannot be handled within
> the bounds of the heap-size setting of 1327MB ?

The heap must be a memory area whitout holes. On windows machine with
2G of ram you can't get more than 1,3/1,5 GB of ram for the heap.
If you need more heap:
-try the vodoo to fine tune your GC settings: fine tune the JVM is
more like magic than science
-take 2 more GB of RAM
-take a lot more GB, install a linux 64bit :)
I run my analysis pipelines on xeon quad, with 8G of RAM. The heap is
usually set to 2G, 2,5Gb, it depends. But my documents are very small!
FRANK

--
Roberto Franchini
http://www.celi.it