Jörn Kottmann (JIRA) wrote:
>     [
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-1479?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=12740135#action_12740135
>  ]
>
> Jörn Kottmann commented on UIMA-1479:
> -------------------------------------
>
> I would love to learn what add-on packaging actually means ?
>
> UIMA AS runs usually on a server and maybe it makes sense to optimize its
> packaging for this purpose.

The add-on idea is shorthand for saying that uima-as binary distribution
would not include the base uima jars - those would need to be downloaded
separately.  Maybe this is not such a good idea, if those jars are only
a few megabytes...  We currently do not distribute the uima-base source
in the uima-as source distribution (with a few exceptions).
> In my case I just grab the distribution file and unarchive it, install an AE
> and deploy the installed AE.
> On some setups its distributed with rsync between a few servers, which right
> now takes quite a while
> because there are many things in the distribution which are not needed on a
> server e.g. eclipse plugins,
> examples, tools, html and pdf documentation, etc.
> There are also many scripts which makes using it a bit confusing, because
> most of them are not needed
> e.g. scripts to start ui tools.
>
> We could have the UIMA AS eclipse plugins, documentation, samples in the main
> distribution and maybe have a small UIMA AS runtime distribution as a
> separate download which people deploy on their servers.

I think there are definitely several use-cases.   Would the above use
case be served if we had one downloadable binary package with everything
in it, but which had a layout where there was one part set up for
deployment on the servers?

-Marshall