Marshall Schor wrote:
The generification of FSIndex currently specifies one type, <T extends
FeatureStructure> that is the type of item being returned.

The contains and find methods have arguments of type FeatureStructure. These could be changed to take type "T".
No I do not think that they could be changed to take type T.
Lets take the case of the contains method.
The javadoc says:
"Check if the index contains an element equal to the given feature structure according to the ordering of the index. Note that this is in general not the same as feature structure identity." and it for the param fs it says "The FS we're looking for.". There is no place where it says that contains can only be called for FSes which have the type of the index.

The change of the parameter from FeatureStructure to T would also change
the contract of the method a little, because then it would not be possible anymore
to pass a FeatureStructure which has not type T.

Jörn