Marshall Schor wrote:
Jörn Kottmann wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a small UIMA AS clients which is build with maven,
it depends on uimaj-core, uimaj-as-core and uimj-as-activemq.

The list of dependencies is very long and I wonder it
that is really necessary, since I have to run
this little tool on a server the classpath
in my start script gets a mile long.
You might be able to use the new bootstrap loader (see the
uimaj-bootstrap project) to reduce the class path.
Would it be possible to reduce the amount
of dependencies ?
Probably.  We've tried, but have gotten into trouble, for instance, when
we launched a uima-as client with only some of the active-mq jars, only
to find that under some error conditions (e.g., the broker failing), the
behavior became unstable.  So it would have to be carefully investigated.
e.g. uimaj-examples could be a good candidate to remove
I tried removing it (in Eclipse, from the build path) and that seemed to
not cause any problems, so it's probably a good candidate to remove.
There are optional dependencies which are made non-optional
through maven, because they are just normal dependencies.

Here is a list taken from uimaj-as-activemq, maybe we can handle
that a bit different, and I really doubt that we need them all.

   <dependency>
       <groupId>commons-beanutils</groupId>
       <artifactId>commons-beanutils</artifactId>
       <version>1.6.1</version>
   </dependency>
<dependency>
       <groupId>commons-collections</groupId>
       <artifactId>commons-collections</artifactId>
       <version>2.1</version>
   </dependency>

   <dependency>
       <groupId>commons-dbcp</groupId>
       <artifactId>commons-dbcp</artifactId>
       <version>1.2</version>
   </dependency>

   <dependency>
       <groupId>commons-pool</groupId>
       <artifactId>commons-pool</artifactId>
       <version>1.2</version>
   </dependency>

   <dependency>
       <artifactId>geronimo-j2ee-connector_1.5_spec</artifactId>
       <version>1.0</version>
   </dependency>

   <dependency>
       <artifactId>geronimo-j2ee-jacc_1.0_spec</artifactId>
       <version>1.0</version>
   </dependency>

   <dependency>
       <groupId>activemq</groupId>
       <artifactId>jmdns</artifactId>
       <version>1.0-RC2</version>
   </dependency>

   <dependency>
       <groupId>log4j</groupId>
       <artifactId>log4j</artifactId>
       <version>1.2.12</version>
   </dependency>

   <dependency>
       <groupId>mx4j</groupId>
       <artifactId>mx4j-remote</artifactId>
       <version>2.1.1</version>
   </dependency>

   <dependency>
       <groupId>mx4j</groupId>
       <artifactId>mx4j-tools</artifactId>
       <version>2.1.1</version>
   </dependency>

       <dependency>
           <groupId>org.apache.uima</groupId>
           <artifactId>uimaj-as-core</artifactId>
           <version>${uimaj-as-release-version}</version>
           <scope>compile</scope>
       </dependency>

       <dependency>
           <groupId>org.apache.uima</groupId>
           <artifactId>uimaj-as-jms</artifactId>
           <version>${uimaj-as-release-version}</version>
           <scope>compile</scope>
       </dependency>
<dependency>
           <groupId>commons-httpclient</groupId>
           <artifactId>commons-httpclient</artifactId>
           <version>2.0.1</version>
       </dependency>

       <dependency>
           <groupId>org.mortbay.jetty</groupId>
           <artifactId>jetty</artifactId>
           <version>6.0.1</version>
       </dependency>

       <dependency>
           <groupId>org.mortbay.jetty</groupId>
           <artifactId>jetty-util</artifactId>
           <version>6.0.1</version>
       </dependency>

       <dependency>
           <groupId>org.mortbay.jetty</groupId>
           <artifactId>servlet-api-2.5</artifactId>
           <version>6.0.1</version>
       </dependency>
<dependency>
           <groupId>xmlpull</groupId>
           <artifactId>xmlpull</artifactId>
           <version>1.1.3.4d_b4_min</version>
       </dependency>
<dependency>
           <groupId>com.thoughtworks.xstream</groupId>
           <artifactId>xstream</artifactId>
           <version>1.2.2</version>
       </dependency>
<dependency>