Hi,

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Marshall Schor <m...@schor.com> wrote:
> I recall reading also, that since the clearance says the headers have
> been properly converted to Apache license headers, and that that work
> (of editing those files) is often done in SVN because the submitted zip
> may not have everything in order, that it's OK to commit the new code
> base to SVN.

There's recently been a case where the author of a codebase that he
contributed to an Apache project didn't realize that the software
grant implies the change of license headers (and thus the removal of
his own "Copyright (c) ..." statements on individual files). This
ended up in a rather messy situation and cost the project quite a lot
of time and effort to resolve.

The lessons learned have probably not yet reached the relevant
documentation, but going forward it would probably be a good idea to
ask the contributor to change the license headers (or at least
explicitly approve the header change) already before the contributed
code gets committed.

> Of course, it's not OK to do this before a software grant has been
> received/recorded/ack.
>
> And, of course, it's not OK to "release" this software before the IP
> clearance.

Yep. The release point is the definite line where all the legal bits
should be in order.

BR,

Jukka Zitting