At 20:56 20/09/2010, Adrian Kennard wrote:

It would have been cool if my IP was 20712.3342760.3.1
I.e. AS 20712, UK company 3342760, Office 3, machine 1
(assuming AS 20712 chose to allocate based on company number for example)

Whilst this is maybe a flight of fancy or 'mind game', it is interesting to develop. The principal could be easily extended to individuals. In the UK for example, a national insurance number could be used in place of a company number. They both have similar status as unique identifiers.

There would be an interesting side effect - identifying companies/individuals by IP address would be simplified. This, of course, opens up a new debate. Would an addressing system that identifies the user to the level of company or individual (easily and available to all) be a bonus or the dark side of a big brother system?

However I realise this is an aside discussion, and I fail to see the model working when my Internet enabled fridge has a hissy fit and reorders £500 worth of goods to refill the shelves. I will be implicated and unable to deny all knowledge and say to Tesco: 'Nuffink to do with me mate - the fridge has a different IPv6 address'.

With levity,
Nic