On 27 May 2011, at 15:45, Adam Armstrong wrote:

> On 27/05/2011 01:49, Neil J. McRae wrote:
>> historical data is your best hope. or build a model and use scenarios.
>
> Indeed. I've gotten a lot of historical data from real-world deployments from
> lots of helpful people in Europe.
>
> (why is the european internet community (particularly benelux/scandinavia) so
> much more helpful than our own?)

I think it comes down to the fact that what you are essentially asking for is
"How do I capacity plan my network?". This is something that is not a clear cut
decision - it is based around the technical and commercial challenges that face
your specific network deployment. Any answer that is provided may be irrelevant
to you, given your network's customers, footprint, and deployment
considerations.

In addition, you are essentially asking people to share data regarding their
customer base, and their deployment, which they may have designed or planned in
order to deliver services at a specific cost. This is information which may
give you a commercial advantage in being able to optimise your cost model. For
this reason, I'd imagine there is some reluctance amongst deployments that
might match your description in sharing this data.

r.