On 29/04/13 14:01, Alex Brooks wrote:
> Bingo.  An interesting read about 'how' they work is
> http://blog.cloudflare.com/the-ddos-that-almost-broke-the-internet and
> https://www.cloudflare.com/ddos (though it is a little self
> congraduatory).

(s/congraduatory/congratulatory/)... is an understatement.

CloudFlare haven't really managed to keep many sites online through
proper DDoS attacks as far as I can see. They make a big "OH MY GOD LOOK
AT HOW BIG IT WAS" song-and-dance when they fail, which is often, on
anything high-value.

Perhaps alright for smaller sites, but I've seen even small imageboards
etc fail to DDoS behind CloudFlare. One of many reasons I won't use them
(aside from their nasty DNS policies etc). Doesn't seem very effective
and a lot of hassle to set up and maintain (and expensive if you want it
white-label).
--
Cheers,
James Harrison