Hi Thomas,

Interesting timing - we've also been seeing a big increase in the same over the last few weeks, mainly targeting schools from automated (& cheap!) online 'booter' services (presumably instigated by students who have had enough of their IT lessons). We've also been forced to script something similar to analyse flows each minute and advertise blackholes upstream in an automated fashion in order to react quicker. I found that the complexity (and the bit I imagine the paid mitigation services spend a lot of their R&D on) is the 'analysis' part to reliably detect. I found it easy enough for some of the simple attacks hitting us though. Our scripted version is very specific to the way we're set up so it wouldn't really translate elsewhere, but I'll be interested to take a look through your git repo. Alas, I'm no front-end/gui coder either :)

One thing I did think would be useful while I was doing this, was if there was an 'open' online IP address reputation database (similar to a spam reputation db) - I couldn't find one with a quick Google. Seems to me it wouldn't take much for different providers all analysing flows to come up with a fairly reliable list of sources for some of this amplification attack traffic (provided the source isn't spoofed, which normally amplified stuff wouldn't be). Having that list to use when determining whether a flow I'm analysing is a DDoS (to use as a weighting amongst other factors) would help a lot, and could maybe even be used to drop such traffic in the network based on source rather than blackholing destinations upstream, provided the network could take the hit (though getting into a bit of neutrality debate there I guess!)

Regards,
Robin.