On 15 Jul 2014, at 17:06, James Bensley <jwbens...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Out of curiosity does anyone know if BT can enable a line for shared
> hostlink access?
>
> When placing a migration order with BT using a MAC to transfer a line
> from CP1 to CP2, CP2 (as in the recieving CP) would be placing the
> migration order. Can CP2 alter the service selection baring on the
> line and enable their realm on the line / access to their hostlink on
> this line, so a graceful transfer of the CPE between CPs can occur?

James,

The realm/service selection name is generally more relevant to IPStream or WBMC
Shared (as per SIN471) rather than WBC.

The issue you are facing is that the selection of authentication infrastructure
is done on the subscriber <-> CP mapping - such that there is a tight coupling
between the RADIUS authenticating the CP and the forwarding context that the
authenticated user is placed into. WBC will determine the CP that the line
belongs to, and then request RADIUS authentication from that particular CP’s
RADIUS. Since this is the case, then your BT Business -> other CP migration is
doing what is expected — authenticating with the BTB RADIUS infrastructure,
rather than your own since the RADIUS is selected on the calling line ID (not
the authentication details - which WBC passes transparently). The same is true
with WBMC Shared CPs, the “owning CP” is identified, and their RADIUS
infrastructure is consulted for authentication until such time as the migration
has completed. In the WBMC Shared case the SSN is used to differentiate
different behaviours required for different sets of EUs of the same CP.

The potential means to ease your migration path is to ask the owning CP to act
as a proxy RADIUS for the lines that you are migrating to your own
infrastructure (although, this of course requires co-operation of the existing
CP for the line) — such that your authentication details are valid for the
subscriber on both sets of infrastructure; or alternatively determining a means
to authenticate these lines without checking the PPP authentication credentials
on your own infrastructure (for instance, an access accept that is based on the
SID (BBEU/FTIP/BBIP…) — meaning that once the line is migrated, then your
infrastructure still authenticates the user, regardless of the PPP
username/password that is configured.

Hope this helps — if you need further assistance with this matter, then I’d
recommend giving your BT Wholesale account team a shout to determine whether
there is anything else that might be able to be done to ease the path.

Kind regards,
r.